Bassman Sourdough #1 with Cheddar and Jalapeno

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How difficult is it to make a starter?
It's not all that difficult to make a starter.  It's just that it gets better with age.  I started this one almost 30 years ago.  To make your own, all it takes is flour, water and some time.  Just mix a cup of warm water with a cup of flour and let it set for a week stirring once or twice a day.

We get the jalapeno salt from a guy right here in our little town.  I get the original smoked jalapeno in the 11 ounce jar.  Good stuff.

http://www.davesjalapenosalt.com/
I highly recommend EVERYONE try this stuff!  It's great.  I've got the Galic and the Smoked, and can't tell which one I like better.

Re: the "sour"  I think you just have to play with it.  I leave mine out on the counter most of the time which I think is making a difference.

... we gotta remember, Bassman only has about a 25 year head start on us!!! YES, this stuff does get better with age.  I've had mine now since 3/10/10... I know that because I sharpied it on the top of the mason jar I keep it in.  I too like the twang of sourdough and mine is slowly getting there.  I've also heard and tried adding a little more sugar/honey to the sponge affects the twang.  I've been playing with that, but still haven't gotten to Bassman's stage yet. 

Patience, Grasshopper, PATIENCE!

Bassman is one heck of a cool dude to share this - take advantage of it!

NOTE TO SELF - SELF, PUT SOME MEAT ON YOUR NEXT BREAD POST!

And I thought you were going to ask where the bacon was!!  Dang, BC, I promise never show any naked bread again!
Hey Tracey, how 'bout this:

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”

"Teach a man to make Bacon, and he'll make bread."

I knew you'd like that one,  
icon_mrgreen.gif

Bear

I'd like to give this recipe a try next weekend but I got to ask whats the garlic jalapeno salt? is there a recipe for it on here? 

I'm thinkin that woould make a great slider bun for some Pulled pork!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky