Small batch Sourdough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Making a couple more.
These are small, good for 1-2 people.

New recipe for me. You can use AP or Bread flour.

feed the starter: 4 hours before you mix unless your starter is already active.​

50g sourdough starter
50g unbleached all purpose flour
50g filtered water

sourdough:​

60g active, bubbly, fed sourdough starter
220g filtered water
330g unbleached all purpose flour bread flour
8 g salt.....site aside to be added after autolyse.

start the dough:

1. Combine 60g fed and active starter with 220g unchlorinated water, then add 330 g unbleached all purpose or bread flour.
  2. Stir until completely combined.
  3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a clean kitchen towel. Set the dough aside to rest for 1 hour.
IMG_6583.JPG

IMG_6584.JPG

add the salt:

1. After the dough has rested for 1 hour, sprinkle 8g salt around the top of the loaf.
  2. Using damp hands, knead the salt into the dough for approximately 10 folds.
  3. Recover the bowl with plastic wrap and a clean kitchen towel.
  4. Set aside for 30 minutes.

stretch and fold:

1. With wet hands, grab the dough and gently pull it until the flap is long enough to fold over itself, then fold the flap, rotate the bowl 90 degrees and repeat 4 times.
  2. Recover the bowl, and set it aside for 30 minutes.
  3. Repeat the stretch and fold process at least once more for a total of 3 sets of stretch and folds over about an hour and a half's time.

final rise:

1. On the last stretch and fold, form the dough into boule. Place it seam side up in a banneton or banneton alternative, or seam side down on a square of parchment paper and using the parchment paper as a sling, pick up and place the boule in a bowl approximately the same size as your baking dish. Re-cover the bowl with plastic wrap and the kitchen towel and set it aside to rise.
  2. The final rise is done when the dough has at least doubled in size and looks less dense and airier. This can take from 3-12 hours.
  3. You can cold retard this if you wish

bake:​

1. Place your cast iron dutch oven into the oven and pre-heat both together to 450f.
  2. Once the oven has reached temperature, uncover the bread, and if using a banneton turn it over onto a parchment paper square and score it with a sharp knife or razor blade, if using the bowl method simply score the top of the loaf.
  3. CAREFULLY pick up the parchment paper sling and lower the bread into the heated dutch oven.
  4. Recover the pot and return it to the oven for 30 minutes at 450f.
  5. After 30 minutes of baking, uncover the dutch oven and bake the sourdough until a deep caramel brown, about 15 minutes, this may vary depending on your oven.

Dang! Y'all making me use Google now!

I stumbled across a site dedicated to making sour dough and they offered free starter culture. What the heck? It's free, right! Should be coming in the mail soon.

Honestly, don't even know if I'll use it. Bread making is one of those things that sounds amazing to me when I'm reading about it. Actually getting off my *** and putting in the time? Ehhhhh, maybe tomorrow...

These are cooling then a wrap for the freezer.

dbsd8.JPG

dbsd9.JPG

dbsd10.JPG

Reactions: 02ebz06
I got it from SourHouse. If I actually use this one then I'll check out the link you suggested.

Thanks!

If you want some for sure active dehydrated starter just send me a message.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky