U-Bolt mod for the AMNTS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 2, 2014
Rhode Island
I've been doing this since I bought my first MES 30.Makes using the tubes more convenient and much easier to handle.Fits great in the bottom left of a MES.

More than one person has asked me why pitched?Keeps the pellets from falling out and you get a slower more consistent burn rate,which would explain why I'm getting close to 3hrs out of a 6" tube (over six on the 12") and not as intense smoke as many others have reported with the tube(s).On the 12" tube the bolt in the back can be shortened or eliminated altogether to achieve the proper angle though I still like to have the back ever so slightly elevated for ease of use and more importantly to allow for air circulation in the back,pulling out the chiploader a few inches and putting in the dump position greatly helps with airflow.

Just started using the expanding 7"-12" tube in my MES30,much more suited to the 30 than the 12"-18" tube though I would think it would be awesome in the 40.

Opening the door and replacing the tube with a fresh one and closing the door takes less than 10 seconds,heat loss is minimal.With the mailbox mod this obviously is not an issue.

Even with this mod the tube inherently puts out more smoke than the tray so you need to take that into consideration when it comes to duration of smoke,using ground/crushed pellets really helps with this.Check out this thread that chopsaw chopsaw started regarding using ground/crushed pellets in the tube:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/burning-dust-in-the-amnts.282571/
You will get even longer smoke times,close to 5hrs on a 6"tube. Less intense smoke,nice thin and blue.I was using a coffee-bean grinder to grind my pellets but I found they lacked in durability so I switched to using a blender,besides being more durable I can grind much more at a time,just pulse to get the right consistency.

The AMNTS with this mod is a great option if the tray isn't working for you,especially when using ground pellets.The tubes work awesome on hot/humid and windless days too.

This mod works just fine with the newer oval tubes and expanding tubes.

Attachments

• DSCN0930.JPG
    DSCN0930.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 483
  • DSCN0929.JPG
    DSCN0929.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 475
  • DSCN0928.JPG
    DSCN0928.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 467
  • 20200523_125503.jpg
    20200523_125503.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 471
  • 20200523_125256.jpg
    20200523_125256.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 472
  • 20200523_125452.jpg
    20200523_125452.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 478
  • 20200229_142731.jpg
    20200229_142731.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 455
  • 20200229_142834.jpg
    20200229_142834.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 488
  • 20200524_153301.jpg
    20200524_153301.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 496
  • 20200524_153424.jpg
    20200524_153424.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Sorry about the delay in uploading pics,took a bit of work.

What are the U-shaped thingies called?? It will make it easier for me to find them at Home Depot. I've got three AMZNTS and this is a great mod.

What are the U-shaped thingies called?? It will make it easier for me to find them at Home Depot. I've got three AMZNTS and this is a great mod.

Basic U-bolt,these probably came from Ace if I remember correctly.Like Dave said bring one of your tubes with you...not all hardware is created equal.

One at a time.I like intense smoke flavor but two tubes going at once would be way to much imo,the tube inherently puts out a lot of smoke by design.

Will this help reduce the amount of smoke I get form the Tube? I feel like sometimes the tube gives off billowing smoke with dump tray at 1-2 inch. Sometimes I get the thin smoke, and sometimes more intense.

Will this help reduce the amount of smoke I get form the Tube? I feel like sometimes the tube gives off billowing smoke with dump tray at 1-2 inch. Sometimes I get the thin smoke, and sometimes more intense.

The tube inherently just puts out more smoke than the tray.

Its been my observation that having the tube at a pitch allows for a slower burn,but even more so allows for a consistent burn even if you don't fill it all the way.This generally produces a little less smoke than true horizontal.

I generally get TBS with the 6" tube for about 3 hours with this mod.

Duration of smoke vs intense smoke over a shorter period of time has always been a debate for me,but in an electric smoker like the MES intense and short is not always a bad thing.

Reactions: okiwen
Great Mod & Thread, Norm!!
Nice Job.
Like.

Bear

Coming from the local MES/A-MAZE-N expert...I'll take that!

99.9% of everything I've ever learned about the MES and A-MAZE-N products came from your posts.

Cheers my friend!

The tube inherently just puts out more smoke than the tray.

Its been my observation that having the tube at a pitch allows for a slower burn,but even more so allows for a consistent burn even if you don't fill it all the way.This generally produces a little less smoke than true horizontal.

I generally get TBS with the 6" tube for about 3 hours with this mod.

Duration of smoke vs intense smoke over a shorter period of time has always been a debate for me,but in an electric smoker like the MES intense and short is not always a bad thing.
I have to agree . I changed my method , to using 1 u bolt on the front of a 12 " tube . It's a more productive burn for sure . Alot of the tube " burn " depends on the weather , at least for me , but the u bolt is a great idea , and produces a cleaner burn .

I saw this idea sometime last year on the net and added U bolts to my tubes as well, I just run the tubes flat as I think having the back end lower slows down the burn to much. Another thing I did was take a 1/2" x 4" ? thin metal tie strap used to secure 2x4's together and place it under the front U bolt to make a handle sticking out the front of the tube to make picking up the tube easier while in the mailbox.

i.php

Reactions: indaswamp
I have to agree . I changed my method , to using 1 u bolt on the front of a 12 " tube . It's a more productive burn for sure . Alot of the tube " burn " depends on the weather , at least for me , but the u bolt is a great idea , and produces a cleaner burn .

Elevating the front absolutely makes a difference for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky