• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

U-Bolt mod for the AMNTS

normanaj

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
I have an MES and bought a 3" dryer ducting about 5ft long.
I stuff that unit into the chip loader hole (after removing the guts) supported on a frame for a slight incline, then put my homemade tube in that.
I control the amount of smoke by the outlet damper.
Might as well just add the mailbox you're already halfway there.

my tube is 3 ft long and will it stuffed with planer shavings, I get about 6 hours of smoke.
I light it with a hot air gun, and once I have some coals, in it goes and I just let it do its thing
No issues with the shavings catching fire?I've been in the trades a long time and I've seen how various forms of wood burn.The idea of using wood shavings kinda scares me,the potential for fire is to high for my liking.

6 hours of smoke out of a 3 foot long tube isn't really that efficient,I get close to that out of a 6" modded tube filled with ground pellets and get nice TBS.

daveomak

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Thrash..... WOW.... Nice invention.... I love it....

nanuk

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 18, 2012
Might as well just add the mailbox you're already halfway there.

Working on it. Gonna use a repurposed microwave oven. Halfway to completion

No issues with the shavings catching fire?I've been in the trades a long time and I've seen how various forms of wood burn.The idea of using wood shavings kinda scares me,the potential for fire is to high for my liking.

Nope. I stuff them pretty hard. There is little airflow through them. Just enough to keep the burn. And the smoke is light and clean.
You would think them more volatile but practice has shown me they work good. My tube is 1/8” hardware cloth about 1.5” diameter held together with SS hose clamps that are oriented to hold the tube up like the muffler clamp mod.
I have only had two single issues. Once, it went out. ( I increased the airflow )
Once it flamed up. ( I stuffed it more dense.

6 hours of smoke out of a 3 foot long tube isn't really that efficient,I get close to that out of a 6" modded tube filled with ground pellets and get nice TBS.

Well, considering the weight, I use less wood overall than when I used pellets or shavings. I was going to use an even longer setup for longer cold smokes but once I learned how easy to make dust from pellets I decided the dust was easier. I made my own tray for the microwave that burns for about 10 hours when full!
I should weigh my tube when full to find out how many grams of wood I burn oer hour.

Has anyone else checked on this?

nanuk

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 18, 2012
a hotter fire creates a lot of unburned particles and more creosote. .
I would have thought the opposite.

But in my thinking it is not temps but O2 levels.
More air = more O2
More O2 = cleaner burn

It seems, through experience like DaveO had, you need to control air/O2 to the fuel AND air flow through the unit.

You add more air to the fuel for a cleaner burn/less heavy smoke
And add more airflow ABOVE the fuel to help move the light smoke through the smoker.

This is why I think mailbox mods work so well. Easier to control both parameters.

rc4u

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 4, 2015
just don't somebody go buy a galvanized ones.. exhaust clamp liked noted..

nanuk

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 18, 2012
just don't somebody go buy a galvanized ones.. exhaust clamp liked noted..

nothing wrong with galvanized metal

Zinc is a necessary trace mineral

and a bit of heat on some galvanized metal in our situation will not produce enough vapour to worry about.

Just ask a welder!

Latest posts

Top Bottom