U-Bolt mod for the AMNTS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How much smoke are you guys getting from the tube? My smoke is blue but seems intense no matter what I do with dump tray.

I used some wire to prop up the front of the tube and it’s lasting longer, but seems like a still get a lot of blue smoke

How much smoke are you guys getting from the tube? My smoke is blue but seems intense no matter what I do with dump tray.

I used some wire to prop up the front of the tube and it’s lasting longer, but seems like a still get a lot of blue smoke

I'm getting the right amount. Are you getting to much air flow across the pellets? Lots of smoke and a fast burn would indicate your drafting well probably to well.

I'm getting the right amount. Are you getting to much air flow across the pellets? Lots of smoke and a fast burn would indicate your drafting well probably to well.

This would be my conclusion also.

Mike,
Some folks here have simply done away with the chiploader and replaced it it with the "riverrat mod".I've never gotten around to doing this as I've not needed to but it definitely makes for easy control of the airflow.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/calling-this-the-riverrat-damper-mod.170605/#post-1247417

I'm one that thinks the tube is to much inside the smoker . So I went to a mailbox . Had it workin pretty good , but yes the smoke can be heavy , The addition of the u bolt was a big improvement .
thin blue.jpg
Also , I left everything in tact because I still use the chip loader at times .

When I tried the Tube, no matter what I did it produced too much smoke for my MES Units, so I went back to my AMNPS and AMNS for perfect smoke.
Now that I see these U-bolts, I could probably do that with my lit end up higher, but my Amazing Trays work so perfectly, I'll just stick to them.
Like I said though, it looks like a Great idea, especially for those who have trouble keeping an AMNPS going.

Bear

I've been doing this since I first bought my first MES 30 this past Nov.Makes using the tubes a little more convenient and easier to handle.Fits great in my MES(pic3) or anywhere there's more a less a level surface and limited room.

More than one person has asked me why pitched(pic2)?Keeps the pellets from falling out and you get a slower more consistent burn rate,which would explain why I'm getting close to 3hrs out of a 6" tube (over six on the 12") and not as intense smoke as many others have reported with the tube(s).The 12" tube almost guarantees opening the door only once on a long smoke and the bolt in the back can be shortened or eliminated altogether on the 12" tube to achieve the proper angle though I still like to have the back ever so slightly elevated for ease of use.Opening the door and replacing the tube with a fresh one and closing the door takes less than 10 seconds,heat loss is minimal.

The tube inherently puts out more smoke than the tray so you need to take that into consideration when it comes to duration of smoke.I would also suggest checking out this thread that chopsaw started regarding using crushed pellets in the tube,you will get even longer smoke times and less smoke.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/burning-dust-in-the-amnts.282571/

The AMNTS with this mod is a great option if the tray isn't working for you,especially when using crushed pellets.The tubes work awesome on hot/humid and windless days too.

This mod works just fine with the newer oval tubes.

Thanks normanaj tried it out using a coat hanger wire and it produced the perfect amount of thin smoke. Using a 12 incher half full of pellets got about 4 hours of perfect smoke.

Just remember all meats have a window of time that smoke will penetrate no matter what we do.The rest will just add black creosote ,I aint saying its not tasty but the presentation drops IMO

Just remember all meats have a window of time that smoke will penetrate no matter what we do.The rest will just add black creosote ,I aint saying its not tasty but the presentation drops IMO
Smoke will continue to penetrate meat until the surface temp reaches about 140*F. At that point, it will only collect on the surface. Which is why you can cold smoke for days on end...the meat will continue to absorb smoke and the smoke will travel all the way through the meat contributing flavor and aiding preservation.

Fire temperature and air flow (and type of wood) has more to do with creosote deposits than any other factor....and some of those creosote compounds are good and not bitter, they add to flavor. You want the fire temp 650~750* for the best smoke. a hotter fire creates a lot of unburned particles and more creosote. Starve it for oxygen and you will get black smoke...the worst kind.

....and some of those creosote compounds are good and not bitter, they add to flavor.

i'm guessing you're not a fan of the mailbox mod then, since one of the "benefits" of it that a lot of people tout is that it significantly reduces creosote.

i'm guessing you're not a fan of the mailbox mod then, since one of the "benefits" of it that a lot of people tout is that it significantly reduces creosote.

<Indaswamp opens can of worms>....

I'm sure someone here will take issue with this. But this is what I have learned helping old timers (and my friend) at the rural life museum in Baton Rouge.

Mailbox mod. works....for MES owners with very little draft through an electric smoker...as it was designed....from what I know about it. It helps the smoke generator get more air, and helps with the limited draft in a MES.

The mailbox mod is an adaptation of an old cold smoking method with an external firebox. As smoke cools, some of the compounds condense on cool surfaces. You will loose both good and bad through condensation. People bad mouth creosote, but some of the best flavoring compounds are forms of creosote, Not all creosote is equal. Air flow draft is key. The old school method is dual smoke stacks where most of the heat and smoke rise through the first stack, creating pull with the draft through the stack, and the slight angle of the second pipe at the 'T' allows a trickle of smoke to the smoke chamber. This allows control of the temp. of the fire in order to produce the optimum smoke with less of the 'bad' creosote and more of the 'good'. And it allows for optimum control of smoke to the smokehouse without damping down the fire temp....

Mailbox mod users just take the smoke produced and deal with it. They have little control over how hot the fire burns. Not all smoke is created equal.....that is not to say that white smoke, or creosote is 'bad'. Depends on duration of the smoke and what you are cooking. 2~3 hour chickens-no problem with white smoke. The meat won't be in long enough to matter IMO. But for long cold smokes, fire temp. matters to produce optimum flavor compounds. BTW, The optimum fire temp. for optimum smoke is 650~750*F. I would have to ask Todd what temp. his various smoke generators burn with pellets and dust.

<Rant over>

Last edited:
Just one little question. You are using stainless steel muffler clamps right? Regular clamps are galvanized and the ain't too good for ya, ask any welder. But that's a great idea for the tube.

Basic u-bolt from the local Ace,stainless is all they sell(at least here).No need to spend extra at the autoparts store for a muffler clamp.

The only galvy I can find where I live comes in the form of a nail or duct work.

Last edited:
I've used the tubes for a couple of years now, have the tray but it never worked as well. When I built my new smoker I created insert ports for the tubes with positioning bumpers inside the smoker, and welded handles on the tubes with silicone caps so I can grab the tube while it's hot. So just light them, slide them in and pull them out. This also gives the tubes plenty of air supply. You can maybe add such an approach to your smoker, just cut a 2" hole in the right spot?

DSC07233.jpg
DSC07194.jpg

I've used the tubes for a couple of years now, have the tray but it never worked as well. When I built my new smoker I created insert ports for the tubes with positioning bumpers inside the smoker, and welded handles on the tubes with silicone caps so I can grab the tube while it's hot. So just light them, slide them in and pull them out. This also gives the tubes plenty of air supply. You can maybe add such an approach to your smoker, just cut a 2" hole in the right spot?

View attachment 406018 View attachment 406019

Freaking Brilliant !!!
That's a Super Idea!!
Like.
Shame the Tube puts out too much Smoke for my MES.

Bear

Last edited:
I've used the tubes for a couple of years now, have the tray but it never worked as well. When I built my new smoker I created insert ports for the tubes with positioning bumpers inside the smoker, and welded handles on the tubes with silicone caps so I can grab the tube while it's hot. So just light them, slide them in and pull them out. This also gives the tubes plenty of air supply.

Great mod for sure!

You can maybe add such an approach to your smoker, just cut a 2" hole in the right spot?

I don't know about drilling in a hole in my MES though.They do have the chip loader hole but if you stuck a tube in there it would be right above the element.With that much airflow the tube would produce copious amounts of smoke and in the confined space of the MES it would be overkill.I had trouble with the tray staying lit so I started using the tube and it produced to much smoke so I came up with the u-bolt mod and it cut down on the smoke and then after reading the thread that chopsaw chopsaw started on using crushed/ground pellets in the tube I've never looked back.

Great idea with the clamps, will have to try it.Kudos for the cutouts in the smoker for easy loading also.I have the pellet tray and have a tube also, but its just a steel bird feeder tube I found in the shed that my wife forgot about.I burned the paint off of it and just use that.Works great and about one third the price.Its not stainless but its steel and has held up.

I don't know about drilling in a hole in my MES though.They do have the chip loader hole but if you stuck a tube in there it would be right above the element.

I have an MES and bought a 3" dryer ducting about 5ft long.
I stuff that unit into the chip loader hole (after removing the guts) supported on a frame for a slight incline, then put my homemade tube in that.
I control the amount of smoke by the outlet damper.

my tube is 3 ft long and will it stuffed with planer shavings, I get about 6 hours of smoke.
I light it with a hot air gun, and once I have some coals, in it goes and I just let it do its thing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky