Basic Chicken Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I seem to have created a bit of a monster. A follower requested a very easy recipe for Basic Beef Ribs, Basic Brisket, and Basic Pellet Smoker Chicken for his new pellet smoker. I am getting requests for more basic recipes from other followers now.

The request this time was for an easy Basic Chicken Wing Recipe. The challenge would be to make delicious chicken wings with as few steps as possible. The chicken would have to have crisp skin and moist meat. Also they should have some heat but the level should be to the cook’s taste.

Fortunately, a pellet smoker gets to high heat which gives crisp skinned wings with moist meat. I really like the even heat of my Traeger Timberline for this.

By changing up the hot sauce in the recipe, you can control the heat. If this recipe is made with Tabasco sauce, it is quite hot. Made with Sriracha, it has a medium heat that builds as you eat it. If you use Buffalo Chicken Sauce, it will have nice mild warmth. I used Sriracha for this cook.

You start by tossing the chicken in a BBQ rub. I used my own chicken rub but you could use any commercial chicken rub or your own recipe.

I put 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of chicken wing segments in a large bowl and added 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the chicken rub. Toss the wings to coat.

Basic Chicken Wings 01.jpg

In a covered microwave container, mix 25 ml (2 tbsp) hot sauce, 10 ml (2 tsp) cider vinegar, and 15 ml (1 tbsp) of butter. Microwave the mixture on high in 30 second increments until the butter is fully melted.

Pour the mixture over the wings and toss.

You can put the wings on the racks of the pellet smoker but I find it convenient to put them on a rack so that I can put them in and take them out all at once.

Basic Chicken Wings 02.jpg

Preheat your smoker to 425 F (220 C). Put the wings in and cook for 40 to 45 minutes.

A word of warning here. My previous pellet smoker had a lot of direct heat and things would cook faster. I suggest you start checking at 30 minutes.

Basic Chicken Wings 03.jpg

When the chicken is well browned, check and make sure the internal temperature is over 170 F (77 C). It should be well over with this method.

Bring the chicken in and let it rest for 10 minutes and serve.

Basic Chicken Wings 05.jpg

Basic Chicken Wings 04.jpg

I did a video of this recipe.

The Verdict

Once again, simple can be delicious! These wings are very tasty. The skin is crisp, the meat is moist, and they have a nice warm heat that isn’t overpowering. They are not Buffalo Wings with their sticky sauce but have a nice complex seasoning from the rub.

I would be pleased to serve these to my guests anytime.

Disco

Nice! I have not made wings like that in many years. They are so easy and taste good too. I'm inspired again, thanks...JJ

Nice! I have not made wings like that in many years. They are so easy and taste good too. I'm inspired again, thanks...JJ

Thanks. These requests are taking me back to the basics which has been great.

Simple is great, thanks for the share

Thanks. It is a good thing simple is great or She Who Must Be Obeyed wouldn't have married me!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky