Barley Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
Barley soup is a winter staple for us. Already made 2 batches with beef, but wife wanted something with chicken.
Ugh, I hate searching the web for a recipe as I only use beef.
I prefer regular pearled barley but quick is all I can find in the area stores.
Well, a recipe with chicken was almost in front of my eyes.
barley.png
On the backside of the box is a recipe for "chicken barley chili"
barley-1.png
Wife gave it the green light.
OK good as I have all the ingredients on the shelf.
Well, maybe not as my tomatoes ended up being a 28 ox can of whole tomato and chicken broth only comes in quarts.
OK time to adjust. I decided to omit the salsa and replace with other ingredients from the pantry.
I browned 1-1/2# of diced chicken breast in a large skillet with a splash of olive oil and 1/2 Tbl chili powder and 1/2 tsp cumin.
Dumped into the dutch oven.
Diced up 1/2 large onion and cooked to clear then added 2 chopped garlic cloves and 1 large diced jalapeno. I de seed the pepper but leave the membrane due to the flavor it adds to a dish.
Added to the dutch oven.
Added the tomatoes, plus 1 quart of warmed chicken broth plus another 2 cups of water and 1/2 Tbl chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin. and 1 tsp Mexican oregano.
Brought to boil and simmered for 30 minutes to break up the whole tomatoes.
Added the chicken and the (rinsed drained) beans. Only had frozen corn so I used the bean can to measure the corn.
Then I added the barley.
Bring to simmer and cover for 30 minutes.
do-1.png

I didn't plan to post this as it was a first time put together.
AS you can see by the tomato ring on the DO, we declared it a winner winner chicken dinner.
Bowl shot
bowl-1.png

This was very flavorful and spicy. If you want less heat either drop the chilipowder or reduce the jalapeno.

My real test of soup or chili is the next time eating.
I had a bowl for breakfast
bowl-2.png

I think you can see the barley has absorbed a lot more liquid. This is why I prefer regular pearled barley as it doesn't take up as many liquids.

Thanks for looking

Nice! It’s been a while since I’ve had barley soup. It’s definitely a childhood memory I lost, but need to bring it back! Great work, thank you for sharing!

Reactions: Fueling Around
Yours looks really good! To be honest, not sure if I've ever had it! Maybe in my younger days...but that was a different type of barley!

Ryan

Beef barley was a staple from my grandma. As Jed m said it’s been a long time since I’ve had it. Way to roll with the punches on the pantry contents too. Adaptability like that’s helpful for sure.

Great looking soup John, that would have tasted real good after snow-blowing the driveway yesterday.

Point for sure
Chris

Very nice John, we do barley soup a few times a year, and we like pearl also.

That is what I like about the barley, absorbing the liquid. And the texture. it is normally a toss up
on using barley or rice in a soup,
but beef barley is a whole flavour soup all in it's self. And Mona really likes barley in soup
so win win for me
Now I want some

David

Great looking soup John!
This is definitely soup weather!
We made chili yesterday & put everything we could find in the house, so we didn’t have to go to the store.
Al

That looks fantastic ! Love barley in soup . Chicken chili even better .
wife wanted something with chicken.
As soon as I read that I was ready to suggest White chicken chili . I buy that barley all the time , and when I saw the box I knew you did the recipe on the back .

Fantastic . I've always done it as a white base and white beans , but I've always wondered about doing it like this . I'll be trying this . Great post !

Thanks everyone.
I made that on Thursday. Forgot to add what I'll do next time.
Use a whole large onion and add 1 cup of diced green pepper.

Great looking soup John!
We made chili yesterday & put everything we could find in the house, so we didn’t have to go to the store.
Al
Walmart is directly across the street and we drove instead of walking due to that wind.

We'll be in your area on Thursday or Friday. Going to the Florida Flywheelers event in Ft Meade.

Sorry for the delay. Meant to post again a few weeks ago when I made another batch, but got pushed out until yesterday.
Nice! It’s been a while since I’ve had barley soup. It’s definitely a childhood memory I lost, but need to bring it back! Great work, thank you for sharing!
It is from my mother's cooking, too. Very easy to use barley as an ingredient in soup.
Yours looks really good! To be honest, not sure if I've ever had it! Maybe in my younger days...but that was a different type of barley!

Ryan
Wife doesn't like the flavor of fermented barley in food.
Try it as a replacement for dishes that call for rice.
Nice! It's been long and long since I've had barley soup. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. Barley soup is so good.
Beef barley was a staple from my grandma. As Jed m said it’s been a long time since I’ve had it. Way to roll with the punches on the pantry contents too. Adaptability like that’s helpful for sure.
I have made some pretty wild meals out of what is found in the pantry. Some, eh?
Great looking soup John, that would have tasted real good after snow-blowing the driveway yesterday.

Point for sure
Chris
Snow? That is a 4 letter word I avoid. Great meal even in the snowless south.
Very nice John, we do barley soup a few times a year, and we like pearl also.

That is what I like about the barley, absorbing the liquid. And the texture. it is normally a toss up
on using barley or rice in a soup,
but beef barley is a whole flavour soup all in it's self. And Mona really likes barley in soup
so win win for me
Now I want some

David
Wife prefers barley over rice.
Good looking soup John.
Thanks. Try the recipes on the box as a start point.
Great looking soup John!
Al
Thanks. My wife has been on a soup binge since the Sebring get together due to her tmj which is why we departed early.
That looks fantastic ! Love barley in soup . Chicken chili even better .

As soon as I read that I was ready to suggest White chicken chili . I buy that barley all the time , and when I saw the box I knew you did the recipe on the back .

Fantastic . I've always done it as a white base and white beans , but I've always wondered about doing it like this . I'll be trying this . Great post !
Ah you saw my secret. Wife wanted chicken chili, but wanted to try a barley base.
I absolutely love barley, especially in soup. I'm more of a beef and barley person but that soup looks really good. Very nice.

Robert
My usual is beef barley, too. Wife wanted chicken for something different.
really like barley and your barley chili looks very good!! thanks for sharing this!
Use my attempt or the recipe on the box.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Here is my encore of the chicken chili barley soup

Diced up chicken breast.
chicken-1.png

Add chicken to pan and brown with 2 tsp chili powder and 1 tsp cumin.
chicken-3.png
Diced up 1/2 large onion, 1 jalapeno, 1 green pepper, and 2 garlic cloves and dropped in the dutch oven to saute until softened..
veg-2.png
After veggies add 2 cups chicken broth, 3 cups water, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, and 1 tsp mexican oregano
chili-1.png
Simmered for 10 minutes and added drained beans, can of tomato sauce, and frozen corn measured in the tomato can.
can-2.png
can-1.png
Alton Brown would be proud of me for using the salad spinner basket as a colander to drain and rinse the black beans.
Simmer the mix for 20 minutes.
Taste during the simmer. The jalapeno had no heat. Added 1/4 tsp of Cayenne and continued simmer. Still no heat so added another 1/4 tsp Cayenne. Simmered more and a nice heat.
Add 1 cup quick barley and simmer for another15 minutes. Regular pearled barley needs close to an hour hour to cook so add at the beginning of the liquids.
I love the Lodge DO for the heat retention.
Ready to serve
chili-2.png
This would be great chili with a hunk of corn bread, but wife doesn't like it so i skipped.
Here's my bowl shot.
bowl-1.png

Sorry for the long reply, but you all want lots of photos.
Thanks for looking and enjoy another comfort meal.

Barley soup is a winter staple for us. Already made 2 batches with beef, but wife wanted something with chicken.
View attachment 654535
View attachment 654536
Well, maybe not as my tomatoes ended up being a 28 ox can of whole tomato and chicken broth only comes in quarts.
OK time to adjust. I decided to omit the salsa and replace with other ingredients from the pantry.
I browned 1-1/2# of diced chicken breast in a large skillet with a splash of olive oil and 1/2 Tbl chili powder and 1/2 tsp cumin.
Diced up 1/2 large onion and cooked to clear then added 2 chopped garlic cloves and 1 large diced jalapeno. I de seed the pepper but leave the membrane due to the flavor it adds to a dish.
Added to the dutch oven.
Added the tomatoes, plus 1 quart of warmed chicken broth plus another 2 cups of water and 1/2 Tbl chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin. and 1 tsp Mexican oregano.
Added the chicken and the (rinsed drained) beans. Only had frozen corn so I used the bean can to measure the corn.
Then I added the barley.
View attachment 654537

AS you can see by the tomato ring on the DO, we declared it a winner winner chicken dinner.
Bowl shot
View attachment 654538

This was very flavorful and spicy. If you want less heat either drop the chilipowder or reduce the jalapeno.

View attachment 654540

I think you can see the barley has absorbed a lot more liquid. This is why I prefer regular pearled barley as it doesn't take up as many liquids.

Thanks for looking
Yep that looks like a fantastic soup, great job! :D

I added barley to my lentil and andoullie stew, cooked in instant pot for 8 min and turned out perfect

View attachment 654535
View attachment 654536
Added to the dutch oven.
Then I added the barley.
View attachment 654537

Bowl shot
View attachment 654538

View attachment 654540

Thanks for looking
I love barley soup, but never thought of us f chicken! Thanks for the sugestion😀

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky