Banquete, Carnitas de Cerdo, Arroz Mexicana, Frijoles Pintos and Pico de Gallo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Today the kitchen was mine, even the dogs got the boot... And stay out!

I got up late and made a fine gut busting breakfast, after all a man can't cook on an empty belly.
Eggs, sausages and biscuits with jam/butter
3Qr8DkB.jpg

The Menu
Carnitas de Cerdo
Arroz Mexicana
Frijoles Pintos
Pico de Gallo
Tortillas de Maiz
Condimentos

Traditional Carnitas de Cerdo
Dry brine 2"-3" cubes of pork, then marinate for 2-3 hours in,
3parts orange juice, 1 part lime juice, keep rinds in marinade and cooking.
Salt, 3 cloves garlic, 2 Bay leaves and Cumin.
Drain juice and everything else goes into the dutch oven, add in a quartered onion
I use enough bacon grease and lard to just cover the meat, and cook for 2 hours or tender over medium heat.
Then I switch to high heat to crisp the pork.
Salt the pork well as you pull it out of the oil.

G6lgiNd.jpg

TTmL4fa.jpg

Ao9FUi7.jpg

r65kHCP.jpg

Arroz Mexicana
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/arroz-mexicana-aka-mexican-rice.253258/#post_1745365

wHi4ekI.jpg

Frijoles Pintos
Soak 1lb beans overnight
Roast, 1 chile jalepeno, onion, tomato and garlic
Add beans and water to cover
Spices, 2T Salt, 1T Cumin, 1t each Paprika, Cayenne and Ancho
Simmer for several hours

k18tlDb.jpg

vPGInkb.jpg

Pico de Gallo
Like most salsas/gaucamole, I make it the day before so flavors have time to meld.
Gotta let the chemistry happen.

Assorted fresh veggies chopped fine, tomato, onion, bell peppers, Jalapeno, garlic and cilantro.
Salt, Cumin, Paprika
Lime and/or Lemon juice
White vinegar
F7XHxuZ.jpg

EGPM1bw.jpg

F3wGeJC.jpg

The Banquete

EUwnM4N.jpg

The Finale

DSUij5V.jpg

VaV3Hdc.jpg

Last edited:
What an amazing looking feast, including the breakfast.

I make a similar pork dish called masitas de puerco (Cuban fried pork chunks). I will definitely try your recipe soon. Thanks for sharing it.

Chili,
You sir know how to do it right. Hats of to you. Carousel Worthy! Guess you are feeling better and back to your old self again....good to see you inda kitchen again.

Like!

Last edited:
Chili- question...
You simmer the pork in bacon fat? Do you drain it after it is tender?
I use about 2.5lbs of lard and 1/2lb of bacon grease, the more bacon grease the better for flavor.
No draining, I cook covered over medium heat till just tender, then turn the heat to high and crisp the pork.

Chili,
You sir know how to do it right. Hats of to you. Carousel Worthy! Guess you are feeling better and back to your old self again....good to see you inda kitchen again.

Like!
Thanks man.
Feeling a lot better, just a random cough that won't go away... Damned residual effects of the pneumonia.

What an amazing looking feast, including the breakfast.

I make a similar pork dish called masitas de puerco (Cuban fried pork chunks). I will definitely try your recipe soon. Thanks for sharing it.
Thanks Skeeter.
Masas de Puerco, pork, water and lard, cook till water boils off, pork is then tender and fries in the fat.

I know what you went through... I had it for 3 weeks after christmas, was clear for 2 weeks, then relapsed for another 2 weeks. I hope I'm finally over it now. Been clear for about a week.

That looks phenomenal! Alot of care and prep went into what would first appear as a simple dish, but once you delve in, it is alot more than just a simple dish. The salsa looks really good. I want to try and make some, and this inspired me!

Thanks!

That looks phenomenal! Alot of care and prep went into what would first appear as a simple dish, but once you delve in, it is alot more than just a simple dish. The salsa looks really good. I want to try and make some, and this inspired me!

Thanks!
Thanks Trillo, appreciate it.

I like your avatar pic, love fishing big Flatties, that's a nice chicken size right there.
I got me a Barn Door on a trip to Sitka, AK one time.

Chile I would have had to go back to sleep after that breakfast.That all looks good
Richie

My gosh, John!
Everything looks absolutely delicious!
Looks to me like you had a fun day in the kitchen, with some fantastic results!
Congrats for getting another ride on the carousel!
Al

Chile I would have had to go back to sleep after that breakfast.That all looks good
Richie
Appreciate it Richie.
Thankfully the protein overrode the carbs and the soporific effects were minimal.
My gosh, John!
Everything looks absolutely delicious!
Looks to me like you had a fun day in the kitchen, with some fantastic results!
Congrats for getting another ride on the carousel!
Al
Thanks Al, yep a fun and productive day in the kitchen.

Another fine looking meal chile, very talented. Congratulation on the carousel ride.

Point for sure.

Chris

Holy crap! That looks insanely good. I can only imagine the amazing aroma of everything coming together in harmony. I don’t even have to taste it to know that it’s excellent but I wish I could. Great job Chile

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky