Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I have started to harvest my potato crop. I make stuffed potatoes out of a bunch of them and freeze them for future use.

I love stuffed potatoes. They add so much flavour and texture to the plain old spud. I decided to go for the ultimate stuffed potato and added extra cheddar cheese and wrapped it in bacon.

I took four medium potatoes and brushed them with oil. I baked them at 400 F (205 C) for one hour and let them cool to room temperature.

I sliced the potatoes in half lengthwise.

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Potatoes 1.jpg

I used a paring knife to slice into the potatoe about 1/4 inch (6 mm) from the skin. I used a spoon to scoop out the flesh into a bowl, leaving 1/8 inch (3 mm) to 1/4 inch (6 mm) of potato flesh on the skin.

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Potatoes 2.jpg

Add the following to the potato flesh in the bowl:

• 25 ml ( 2 tbsp) Cream Cheese
  • 50 ml (1/4 cup) Sour Cream
  • 75 ml (1/3 cup) Grated Cheddar
  • 50 ml (1/4 cup) Green Onion or Chives, chopped
Mash with a potato masher to make a stiff mashed potato combination. If it is too stiff to work with add a little milk but you want it stiff enough to shape easily.

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Potatoes 3.jpg

Put a 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick block of cheddar into the bottom of each potato half.

Divide the mashed potato mixture amongst the scooped out potato halves and press in.

Wrap a slice of bacon around each potato half.

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Potatoes 9.jpg

At this point, you can cook the stuffed potatoes or freeze them for future use.

I fired the Traeger Timberline up to 350 F (175 C) and smoked them for about 50 minutes, until the bacon has a nice colour. If I am doing a low and slow cook, I have done these for about 2 hours at 250 F (120 C).

If you are cooking these from frozen, they don't take much longer to cook. The spuds are cooked and you are just heating them through and colouring the bacon.

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Potatoes 4.jpg

You will notice when you cut into the potatoes, the block of cheddar will have spread out through the filling giving a great texture.

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Potatoes 6.jpg

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Potatoes 5.jpg

I have done a video of this cook.

The Verdict

These are superb! The filling is incredibly creamy and flavourul with being soft. The crisp bacon and a great bite and salty hit. I will keep some of these in the freezer to pop in the oven or smoker for quick meals in the future.

Disco

Awesome . Done plenty of twice baked , but never bacon wrapped . Those look fantastic . Nice work and write up . Thanks for posting and the idea .

Those look awesome! Gotta love getting your meat and potatoes in one bite!

Ryan

Disco, they look amazing! I did something like this a few months back with just cream cheese and cheddar . I immediately realized when eating them they needed the onion and sour cream. I know for a fact yours were good! I need to revisit this. BIG LIKE!

That looks to be a real flavor bomb Disco, and a great piece of work, big Like! RAY

Those look fantastic Disco!
Never thought to wrap a stuffed or twice baked potato in bacon!
Great idea!
Al

Awesome . Done plenty of twice baked , but never bacon wrapped . Those look fantastic . Nice work and write up . Thanks for posting and the idea .

Thanks, Chopsaw! Bacon makes everything better.

They look great Diso, l never had them bacon wrapped either.

Thanks so much! The world needs more bacon.

Those look awesome! Gotta love getting your meat and potatoes in one bite!

Ryan

Very kind, Ryan!

Disco, they look amazing! I did something like this a few months back with just cream cheese and cheddar . I immediately realized when eating them they needed the onion and sour cream. I know for a fact yours were good! I need to revisit this. BIG LIKE!

Thanks, Sowsage. I appreciate the like!

That looks to be a real flavor bomb Disco, and a great piece of work, big Like! RAY

Thanks for the kind words, Ray!

Looks great!

So no salt needed due to cheese and bacon involved?

Looks great Disco, I've made twice baked many a time and always added the bacon to the stuffing. Never gave it a thought to wrap. Hmmmm maybe I could drape a mini-baby weave over the top of the potato.

Point for sure
Chris

Hot damn those look great.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's some might fine flavor dancing there Disco.....LOL Nice work!

Now here is a dish that makes you want to slap your head. And ask yourself why you didn't think of that years ago! This will be a side dish for us soon. It looks fantastic Disco!

That looks really good.
(Heavy Sigh)
Used to make twice baked spuds when the kids were still around. Always did the (crumbled) bacon in the back fill.

Wife doesn't like twice baked so not worth the effort.

My spuds just finished blossoming. Be another 2 months before I harvest.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky