Back Bacon (Canadian Bacon)....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
Today my first shot as Back Bacon (ala Disco) came out of its curing bag and is soaking in an Ice Water bath for an hour before heading into the fridge open for forming the Pellical.
The Pork Loin is all firmed up from the curing slumber and daily massage and turn over.
I'm imagining some tasty Bacon from this soon.

I learned Canadian Bacon is a favorite of the wife's. :confused:o_O
Good for me, it sure is easy to make.

Thank You, Disco!

After a good cold water rinse, Taking an ice water bath.
20181226_111058.jpg

Patted dry with Paper Towels, Racked over a small cookie sheet and into the house fridge.
(Fat cap down)
20181226_121348.jpg

Reactions: gmc2003
Thanks Guys.
Disco's video shows him waiting one day for the Pelicans to come around,
Then he smoked, aged two days, and sliced.
Since this is my first Back Bacon, I might cut a little to taste as it goes along.
I think the wife is confident I'm not trying to poison her now. :emoji_laughing::emoji_rolling_eyes:

You'll love it Sonny :)
Wait till you start messing around with different flavours right in the dry cure mix..

I'd like to try some Peppered Back Bacon. But I know the wife won't touch that. So a small batch for that.
Otherwise, I'm pretty narrow minded about Tooti-Fruity stuff. :emoji_rolling_eyes:
Garlic Bacon? :emoji_thinking:

I'd like to try some Peppered Back Bacon. But I know the wife won't touch that. So a small batch for that.
Otherwise, I'm pretty narrow minded about Tooti-Fruity stuff. :emoji_rolling_eyes:
Garlic Bacon? :emoji_thinking:
I see no reason garlic and pepper bacon won't work. I've done red pepper Canadian bacon and people liked it. Bit of a kick in the morning with them eggs and toast!

Reactions: SonnyE
I just made a batch using tenderloins instead of loins.
WOW, what a difference!
I had cure #1, pepper, salt, sugar, garlic, & onion powder in the brine.
Then a light coat of pepper before smoking it!
Al

And away she goes....
Lots going on, The new retired MES Smokehouse 40 Smoker is doing my Disco Bacon cold smoking today.
The temperature popped right up, the smoke started circulating very quickly from my Mailbox Mod into the big box.
But I didn't like it. Too much smoke, dense smoke.
So I pulled the tray, doused the hot pellets and dumped them in my heavy aluminum pan. Then reloaded the AMNPS with dust, and started in again. Nice TBS, I could see my bacon smoke taken.

Disco Bacon being Smoked.jpg

Since I'm running low on the dust anyway, and had some semi-soggy pellets, I loaded about half a pan of P-lets and took them in to do the devolving of them with clean water.
So I started up the MES 30, set it for 275°, and 8 hours. Then put in my Sawdust Casserole to bake.
Woo-Hoo!
Bacon in the makin, and sawdust cake abakin!

Sawdust Cassarole.jpg

Looking good.

Experiment with different recipes and techniques.

I switch between Pop's brine and Tenderquick/Brown Sugar/Garlic Powder/Onion Powder dry rub.

Always put a healthy coating of coarse ground black pepper regardless of whether wet cured or dry cured.

Looking good! Watching!

After the tray finished, and the chunk cooled in the low 40's air (4.44° C Disco :emoji_wink: ), I parked it in my curing fridge for the night. It smells like smoke. Beautiful, wonderful, smoke!
I'm tempted to fry some up for a taste.:emoji_smiling_imp:

My Apple Pellet casserole puffed up like a loaf of bread baking. :emoji_astonished:
I had to do an emergency dividing and shoveled a pile in a smaller steamer pan to finish it.
Steam was rolling out the MES stack at 01:30 when the dog and I did our last yard watering before bed.

Disco Bacon being Smoked 6 hours.jpg Big Batch of Dust.jpg
6 hours of Apple Wood Dust smoked. My eyes were bigger than my pan.

You will be happy you waited to try it. The smoke will even out. I do wonder about one thing, did you smoke the bacon at 275 C or just the casserole?

You will be happy you waited to try it. The smoke will even out. I do wonder about one thing, did you smoke the bacon at 275 C or just the casserole?

LOL! :emoji_laughing:
No, just the Apple Dust casserole. I'm Twice Baking it today. I think it is dry already. But want it damn dry.

I cold smoke my bacon, then cook the Sh__ out of it for serving. (Cold smoked = 68-78° (20-25.5° C) controlled temp.)
Sorry, but I like my bacon crisp. Or at least on the crispier side.
I find cold smoking is more to my liking, seems to have a nicer flavor to my pallet.:emoji_rolling_eyes:

I do my Salmon on that side, too. But after smoking and packaging, I like it best boiled in the bag until it's hot. The added Dill flakes, oil in the fish, all combines to a wonderful flavor. Salmon is my Filet Mignon now.
But I've also done it with Bear's Step by Step. The second time I reduced the salt. Since being on a low sodium diet, I think I'm more sensitive to the taste of salt. So about half in any recipe is good to me.

Except cure, no, never mess with cure. If I err any way with my cure, it is slightly to the + side. Then make sure I hit the temperature marks to destroy it. (Bacon crisp is certainly out there.) :emoji_thumbsup:

Love your video's, Disco. Thank You! :emoji_bow:
Love all the Friendly Help here on SMF. :emoji_smile:

Oh I don't mind that.
I used that as part of my decision making to rationalize a slicer.
And glad I did. Makes nice even slices. Better than my rickety hand hacking. :emoji_laughing:

Fine looking bacon you got going on there Sonny. Haven't delved into that aspect of smoking yet, but it's a coming.

Point for sure.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky