Baby backs

Discussion in 'ECB Owners Group' started by tommysb1, Apr 1, 2015.

1. I am a newbie and going to attempt my 1st set or baby backs on my ECB. Can I fit 3 racks on that thing? Any suggestions from some seasoned smokers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Tommy

2. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

Yup you can. the rolled ones are full racks so you could easily get 6 in there.

thinblueduke likes this.
  3. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

Most of us do Baby backs in the 2-2-1 method. That is 2 hours in the smoker then foil with some juice or whatever you like for 2 hours then back on the smoker to firm up. The last hour might be a little less depending on how you like them. I like mine fall off the bone so I don't use that full hour. Test them toward the end with a toothpick for tenderness. When the toothpick slides in with little to no resistance you are done. Choice of seasoning is purely to your own taste but I love Jeff's rub on pork and poultry. It's pretty awesome stuff.

4. thinblueduke

thinblueduke Meat Mopper

I've found that I can fit two racks per grate, so if you use the upper and lower grates, you shouldn't need to roll them.  I've never tried rolling, though, so I shouldn't comment on that.  If you go flat and use two grates, I would suggest switching racks about an hour into the smoke, though.

5. Thanks guys. I'm planning on using the Big Bald BBQ rub as I don't have Jeffs recipe, and the 3-2-1 or the 2-2-1 method. All I have on hand right now is some hickory wood. If I can get some apple in time I'll do a 50/50 ratio. Lots of great info here. I love it. Thanks again.