Baby backs: water tray or no?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

voltronic

Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
Hello, first post here. I'm trying to improve the tenderness and also greatly increase the intensity of smoke flavor in my baby back ribs. Tomorrow, I'm going to try running two 12" pellet tubes at once (in a gas grill), with the Pit Boss Charcoal Blend pellets I just purchased after seeing positive reports here and also on some YouTube BBQ channels. Previously, I've been using Traeger Signature Blend pellets with the single tube.

This will be my first time running two tubes, and also the first time with these pellets. My question is about the need for water in my drip tray, which I haven't done before. My last couple racks came out tasty, but on the tough side. I spray with apple cider vinegar every 45 min, but it's not doing the trick, so I'm thinking I might need more moisture in there.

So, water in drip tray, water in a metal bowl somewhere else, or not at all?

Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to SMF. Glad you're here and asking questions. Couple of things I picked up from your technique.
I'm going to try running two 12" pellet tubes at once (in a gas grill)
Two tubes will help, but gas grills are LOUSY at smoke flavoring because they are fully vented along the back. Heat and smoke will take the path of least resistance, which is usually up against the hood and out the vent. I struggled for years to get the smoke flavoring I wanted in my gasser. The best results I got were putting the rib racks on the warming rack at the top of the gasser next to the vent. Eventually, I gave up and pulled the charcoal grill from the side of the house.

My question is about the need for water in my drip tray, which I haven't done before.

Yeah, water really isn't recommended in gassers. I built a lower rack in mine and placed a roaster with water or broth underneath the meat. It helped.

My last couple racks came out tasty, but on the tough side. I spray with apple cider vinegar every 45 min, but it's not doing the trick, so I'm thinking I might need more moisture in there.

Okay, a couple of misconceptions here. A tough rack is an underdone rack. Read up on collagen melting. Learn the "probe" feel. A toothpick, icepick, temp probe should slide in like warm butter when the racks are done. If you feel resistance, they need more time.

Second, spraying will help with smoke adhering to the meat but doesn't do ANYTHING for tenderness, a common misconception that drives me to drink. Spraying does not create moist meat, and there have been studies that prove is does the exact opposite due to evaporative cooling. It definitely extends the time for that reason and you are letting heat escape each time you open the lid. Spray can wash away your rub. It can create a sweet candy coating with the right mix. It can keep your bark from getting crispy, but it will do nothing for the interior of your meat.

So, water in drip tray, water in a metal bowl somewhere else, or not at all?

Try the water bowl/roaster on top of your grate but under the meat. Put the tubes right next to the water bowl. You should see a small improvement in smoke flavor as the smoke mixes with the steam.

Yep, what he said.

If you have a way to smolder chunk wood that will add more smoke. Just try to not add too much smoke.

Spritzing is a waste of ... leisure ... time. I don't like to baby (pun intended) sit that much
Control your temps and the smoke will get there

In my gas grill I usually just put a chunk of wood over one of the burners, and as said above tough ribs are just under cooked. You might want to try foiling them for a couple of hours with some liquid to get them more tender.
Al

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because I never used "Charcoal" pellets".
I have always been under the impression that Charcoal pellets were added to an Amazing Smoker when you're having trouble with it going out all the time.
I think if you want "Wood-Smoke" on your Meat, you have to use Wood Pellets, and not Charcoal. However like I said, I could be wrong on this one!

As for the water pan, I don't know if it's a good idea or not in a Gasser, but one of the worst things you can do in an Electric Smoker is to put water in it's Water Pan.

Bear

Wow, lots of great responses. Thanks, everyone!

It took a while for my first post to be approved, so I didn't see any of this until after I had done my Labor Day cook. I wound up with a water pan directly under the ribs, and double tubes at the front of the grill. Previously I had done one at the rear, where most of the smoke went straight out the back. This time, there was a lot more smoke, but it still mostly leaked right out. I did not spritz with anything this time, hoping that the moisture from the water pan would be enough.

The temp gauge on the grill appeared to be staying between 225-250 the whole time with just the smoker tubes going, so I didn't turn on an indirect burner. Now I realize that reading was probably false. After 5 hours though, the internal temp of the ribs was still only about 140, so I pulled the rack, wrapped in foil, and put it in the oven at 350 for a half hour just to finish cooking so we could finally have dinner. Everything else was ready, and we were hungry... Rested for another 20-30 minutes.

Believe it or not, they came out very moist and tender, not quite fall-off-the-bone, but far better than the last couple racks I did. The smoke flavor was minimal though, and there was a pretty faint ring.

The main thing I am taking away from what all of you said is that using my gas grill as a smoking vessel is a losing proposition. I don't have the space for a true pellet smoker or even a Weber kettle, but I am considering one of those little CharBroil tabletop charcoal grills that could go on my steel deck table.

Thanks again for the great advice. I'll be hanging out here more often for sure.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because I never used "Charcoal" pellets".
I have always been under the impression that Charcoal pellets were added to an Amazing Smoker when you're having trouble with it going out all the time.
I think if you want "Wood-Smoke" on your Meat, you have to use Wood Pellets, and not Charcoal. However like I said, I could be wrong on this one!

They are wood pellets - oak blended with charcoal in some method that is not clear.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-All-Natural-Barbecue-Hardwood-Charcoal-Pellets-20-Lb/467052299

One thing you have to know:
Most built in Therms are "Fixed" at one particular place, so even if it is accurate, it probably doesn't tell you what the Temp is at the Meat.
When you have a Wireless remote, you can put the Temp Probe for the Smoker about 2 or 3" from the meat, so you know what Temp the Meat is actually in.

Bear

You don't need a water pan to add moisture. The combustion of the gas produces/adds moisture. As does wood in a wood fired smoker. The only heat source that is dry is electric.

If you feel you just have to add moisture, foil the ribs in the last hour or so with some liquid to steam/braise them.

When you have a Wireless remote, you can put the Temp Probe for the Smoker about 2 or 3" from the meat, so you know what Temp the Meat is actually in.
That makes sense. Any particular models you like for this?

You don't need a water pan to add moisture. The combustion of the gas produces/adds moisture. As does wood in a wood fired smoker. The only heat source that is dry is electric.

If you feel you just have to add moisture, foil the ribs in the last hour or so with some liquid to steam/braise them.

Understood. Thanks!

That makes sense. Any particular models you like for this?

There's a bunch of them out there. Everybody has their preference.
I personally like Maverick, and I don't like them too complicated to set, so my Favorite is the Maverick "ET-732". My one is 9 years old, only on it's second Probe.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky