Baby-backs 2-2-1 method at what temp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eaglewing

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 4, 2008
St. Louis MO
I've done alot of ribs, but only baby backs once and didn't like the results.
Butcher buddie of mine (good buddies to have eh?) just cut me up 3 racks of baby backs and I don't want to screw this up. The 2-2-1 method seems to be what most you guys here use for B-backs, but at what temp??? Also, cook bone down and foil bone up?

My smoker, seen below, usually runs itself right at the 225 to 250 mark... so when foiling what temp is best for that too?

ALSO, I couldn't get the skin film off those B-backs to save my life!!!...nothing like spare ribs at all. Not with paper towel or anything else I tried...I'm forced to cook them just like they are.

I keep the temp the same the whole time. Have you tried slicing the membrane between the ribs down the length of them? I've had to do that before, makes it a little easier to get most of it.

I figured someone would talk about slicing the membrane... already got them in the cooker, I'll try that next time thnx

Between 225° and 250° is fine. I prefer around 235° to 250° but don't spend a lot of effort trying to maintain a tighter range. The meat really doesn't care that much.
biggrin.gif
Cook them bone down the whole time works for me.

To get the membrane off, try starting about 1 or 2 bones in and get under the membrane with a butter kinife or small paring knife. Once you get an edge up, work your finger under there to the other side. Be careful or the membrane will tear. If you can get your finger under it all the way across, work up an edge then you can grab it with a paper towel and pull it off.

Don't get too frustrated. It gets easier with practice. I couldn't get the membrane off of the first rack of spares I did. Baby backs seemed easier. The more you do the better you'll get.

Good luck.

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky