Baby back ribs not as tender in electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SandyWood

Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
My second stab at cooking baby back ribs in my Charbroil Electric smoker. I cooked 2 racks at 225 degrees using the 3-2-1 method. Every hour I sprayed them with apple juice and made sure I had plenty of water in the smoker. After unwrapping them at hour five, I sauced and cooked them for another hour. They came out with a nice crust and the flavor is good but not quite fall-off-the-bone as I'd like. It almost seems like I may have started to overcook them a bit. Has anyone had any issues with electric smokers and baby backs like this?

Are you sure you're at 225? If they're not as tender as you'd like you might be running a little cold. You could try turning up the temp or just cooking them longer while wrapped.

I recently did my first 3-2-1 spareribs in the MB gravity 800 and they turned out just how I like them: tender with a clean bite thru, but not fall off the bone. I pulled them about 15 min early because that's when they were good.

Someone else here has a good system for cooking ribs to temp rather than just using time, but I don't remember the numbers.

I had been watching this video from Cooking with Ry ( ) who cooked two racks in his Charbroil Electric. Now he only cooked his for 3 hours total. He sauced them at 2 hours. He suggested that if one wanted them to be fall off the bone to go for about 4 hours. I think I'll try for 4 hours next time.

You can try cooking to temp and not by time. Time is a good guideline but they're done when they're done. SmokinAl SmokinAl has some great links in his signature to previous posts detailing his method. You should check it out, that is mostly the way I do them and they come out great every time.

Thanks for the good information. I'll take a look at what SmokinAl has and give 2-2-1 a try next time.

Opening and closing the door on an electric is going to keep your temps on the lower side.No need to add water to the pan or spritz in an electric as they are very well insulated and will hold moisture very well.When you wrap you can add liquid then.Also try modifying the 3-2-1 method as already suggested.

Reactions: 912smoker and PAS
I just read over SmokinAl's rib writeup to key on internal temperature. I'm going to try his method next. I'm guessing it would work for spareribs as well ?

Cook to Internal Temp, not time. Anywhere from 190-205* what ever the preference. 190 is a bite type rib, 205 is fall off the bone.

Reactions: Buckeye02
If you use the IT method, you will get consistent results no matter what the smoker temp is. If you smoke your ribs at 225, or 300. It doesn’t matter. When the IT gets to where you like it, it’s done. So you don’t have to worry about temp flare-ups or drops in temp. I don’t put a probe in the ribs, I just start temping them after 3-4 hours, depending on what temp my smoker is running at. Thermapen makes a great therm for ribs, it’s called a thermoPop. It has a real thin needle point that can get between the ribs & stay away from the bones. I bought 2 of them, cause my wife uses one for her bread making.
Al

You've sold me on the IT method. I'm amazed at all the stuff on YouTube and the web that show people just going by time and not IT. I have a WIFI probe that I could use for monitoring the temps but I'm not sure how to accurately place the probe after wrapping them.

All above is correct, smoke to temp. Especially what Al says, he's the Master there. I have an MES 40 and never have a problem with Ribs or anything else being tough or dry. I cook everything ti IT only using time as a starting point and when to start probe for tenderness. Good luck, you'll find what works best for you. Keep us updated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky