Apple Sausage Pork Tenderloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I am not a fan of pork tenderloin. It dries out easily and doesn’t have a particularly good texture. However, the flavour is good so I decided to try it a unique way.

The first problem is the shape of the tenderloin. It has a narrow tip that overcooks. They usually come in a package of two and you can get around this by tying two tenderloins together with a thick end matched with a thin end.

The second problem is that they dry out. I thought I could get around this by putting a moist stuffing in the tenderloins.

Start by making an apple sausage stuffing. Sauté 75 ml (1/3 cup) chopped onion in 25 ml (2 tablespoons) butter until translucent. Add 140 grams (1/3 pound) bulk sausage meat. Sauté until the sausage is crumbled and cooked through. Add 75 ml (1/3 cup) chopped apple, 2 ml (1/2 tsp) dried sage, 2 ml (1/2 tsp) dried thyme, and 2 ml (1/2 tsp) dried rosemary. Sauté for 1 minute.

Apple Sausage Pork Tenderloin 01.jpg

Add 450 ml (2 cups) bread cubes and sauté for 3 minutes. Add 150 ml (2/3 cup) apple juice. Set aside to cool. This should be quite a moist dressing.

Apple Sausage Pork Tenderloin 02.jpg

Butterfly each of two pork tenderloins lengthwise leaving 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) uncut. Spread one of the tenderloins with the stuffing. Lay the second tenderloin over the first with the narrow tip over the wide end of the first tenderloin.

Apple Sausage Pork Tenderloin 03.jpg

Tie every 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) with butcher string. Mix 25 ml (2 tablespoons) brown sugar with 10 ml (2 tsp) of dried rosemary. Spread the mixture over the tied tenderloins.

Apple Sausage Pork Tenderloin 04.jpg

Preheat the Traeger Timberline 350 F (177 C). Cook until the internal temperature is 155 F (68 C), about 1 hour.

Apple Sausage Pork Tenderloin 05.jpg

Let rest for 10 minutes, slice thickly and serve.

Apple Sausage Pork Tenderloin 06.jpg

Apple Sausage Pork Tenderloin 09.jpg

The Verdict:

This was brilliant. The pork tenderloin was juicy and no part was overcooked. The sweet/savoury stuffing was delicious! I now like pork tenderloin.

Disco

And this little piggy went to Disco's house... :emoji_blush: sure looks good! Nice job, glad it turned out so well.

Ryan

The Verdict:

This was brilliant

I'm not going to argue with that assessment Disco. The word "brilliant" is exactly what came to mind for me. A stuffing stuffed pork tenderloin sandwich was the second thought...and it looks absolutely amazing!! Great job sir.

Robert

Of course you confusing this ole Mississippi boy with them foreign measurements!
LOL!
Jim

You're lucky you're not Canadian. We are on the metric system but a lot of what we deal with comes from the US so we must do both!

I'm not going to argue with that assessment Disco. The word "brilliant" is exactly what came to mind for me. A stuffing stuffed pork tenderloin sandwich was the second thought...and it looks absolutely amazing!! Great job sir.

Robert

Har! It didn't last long enough for sandwiches. Thanks, Robert.

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
That sure looks good! ...and who can argue with pork and apple?? And then sausage too!!Nice job Disco! I'm in all the way...ill be making this at some point in sure.

That looks and sounds fabulous. The technique of tying, head to tail, is a solid plan with or without stuffing. Your Apple Stuffing is perfection for this Fall season.
On the subject of Dry Tenderlion...The USDA says 145°F (62.5°C) but the Trichinella Parasite, extremely rare in commercial Pork, is killed at 130°F (54°C). There is no Safety reasons to cook Pork Tender or Loin to 155°F (68°C), unless you or SWMBO, is freaked out by Pink Pork.
For years I have been taking Pork Tenders to 125°F (52°C) and letting them rest. The result is a moist Blush of pink in the thin tail and the rest, a solid Medium Pink that drips juicy goodness. Your Apple Stuffing will be on a near future menu...JJ

That sure looks good! ...and who can argue with pork and apple?? And then sausage too!!Nice job Disco! I'm in all the way...ill be making this at some point in sure.

Thanks! I hope you like it as much as we did.

That looks and sounds fabulous. The technique of tying, head to tail, is a solid plan with or without stuffing. Your Apple Stuffing is perfection for this Fall season.
On the subject of Dry Tenderlion...The USDA says 145°F (62.5°C) but the Trichinella Parasite, extremely rare in commercial Pork, is killed at 130°F (54°C). There is no Safety reasons to cook Pork Tender or Loin to 155°F (68°C), unless you or SWMBO, is freaked out by Pink Pork.
For years I have been taking Pork Tenders to 125°F (52°C) and letting them rest. The result is a moist Blush of pink in the thin tail and the rest, a solid Medium Pink that drips juicy goodness. Your Apple Stuffing will be on a near future menu...JJ

Health Canada recommends 145 F, too. But that isn't the reason I cook to 155 F. I just prefer the texture and taste at that temperature. It likely comes from being raised with parents who overcooked all meat as that was the practice of their day. I can do rarer beef but pork just doesn't taste right to me at even 145 F.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Disco, that looks phenomenal. Even though you measured the temp of the stuffing (right? probe in center?), meaning the tenderloin actually went well above a medium rare, it was still juicy? I'm going to have to try it...
Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky