Anybody else have a smoking buddy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adamr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Collierville, TN
Up getting my WSM fired up to throw on a couple butts for my Dad's 72nd birthday celebration tomorrow and my boxer, Edie, hasn't left my side the whole time. Was wondering if anybody else had a four legged friend that keeps them company on smokes?

Oh hell yeah!

2 in fact!

Hooper the Wonder Dog (black lab), and Scout smoking with me.

The Wonder Dog & Scout coming back from picking corn at the farm with me.

Doesn't matter if it's hunting, smoking, or hanging out at the farm my buddy has the dogs are always around.

Here's Hooper on the walnut table at the farm. Dogs always with me.

Can't imagine looking to my left and not seeing one of the dogs.

Agreed. Nothing more loyal on this planet than a dog. When I hunt I can leave my gun at home and let my buddies shoot all the waterfowl because my enjoyment is 99% watching the dogs retrieve. Its what they love to do.

Yep, 2 year old Blue Heeler Boxer mix and a 12 week old Beagle. The Boys spend 99% of their time wrestling or glued to Momma's side. But, if l walk into the kitchen or out to the smoker and grill, the quality control/cleanup crew are at work.The boys are excited and pacing for hours when they smell Chicken Soup or Beef Pot Roast cooking on the stove. If the smoker is going, they stand at the backdoor waiting for me to go out and check on things...JJ

We have a little white w/brown spots rescue dog named Boomer a.k.a Skid Mark. He's some type of pointer mix because he does that standing stiff as a board - tail straight out, and front paw lifted and kinda dangling thing when he's spotted a bird. Anyway he will sit by my side all day long when I'm smoking sometimes just staring at the smoker. 

Chris. p,s, he's also got three of our four neighbors trained to give him a treat when he see's them 

Edie is our 2nd boxer that we've gotten from a rescue. My wife and daughter keep telling me she needs a buddy, so we'll probably be adding another member of the family soon.

Have a 3 year old black lab, Mazey, she's my girl. Then my dads Aussie blue healer mix. We got a cockalier recently as well, she is always wagging her tail like the last cocker spaniel we had. Can't imagine not having my best friends.

American staffy x ridgeback

His name is boss and whenever the smoker is fired up he never really leaves my side.. from trimming to serving, normally after ive spritzed he will sniff me for a couple mins haha.. must be the bbq smell

Last edited:
This is from probably 5 years ago now. My girl Carmel is getting pretty old these days but so am I. She a loyal fan of my smoking skills and she is always rewarded. This pic is from out at my buddy's hunting shack. We always go out there late April or early May. Yeah it still snows here that time of year. I am camp cook as usual and we alternate between baby backs and prime rib every year. We go out and clean up brush and cut trees. Shoot some trap and guns in general and drink beer all weekend.

Carmel is always with us. Hell, she is where ever that smoker goes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky