Repurposing a WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbstern

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 22, 2023
N. Georgia
Have owned the WSM 18" for about 10 years It's probably had 40 to 50 cooks on it (wasn't an avid smoker until recently). Just did a deep clean on it, and it's remarkable what great shape it's in for a 10 year old, outdoor cooker. Zero rust. Exterior still has a good shine to the finish. Weber makes good stuff.

I'm now using a P&S offset smoker, and don't expect the WSM to get used often, if at all. I'm going to add some type of Kamado, probably an Akorn, for smaller cooks. I see the WSM as redundant in my BBQ arsenal. I'm not into collecting grills. I do feel a bit of an attachment to the WSM, and I'm wondering if I can somehow repurpose it. I've seen the "egg grill" use (using just the base and the lid for a small/portable grill. Unlikely I'd ever use it that way.

Anything else I'm not considering? Or should I send it on down the road to a friend or maybe list it on FB marketplace?

Reactions: JLeonard
I use mine as a direct heat cooker. Its the best chicken cooker on my patio. A full chimney of lit coals , take out the water pan, it will cook about 325 to 350 at top grate level. Yardbirds are done in a little over an hour to hour 1/2.

Could also direct heat pork steak.

But if it doesn't have sentimental value, as mine does, just sell it on marketplace.

I use mine as a direct heat cooker. Its the best chicken cooker on my patio. A full chimney of lit coals , take out the water pan, it will cook about 325 to 350 at top grate level. Yardbirds are done in a little over an hour to hour 1/2.

Could also direct heat pork steak.

But if it doesn't have sentimental value, as mine does, just sell it on marketplace.

Thanks. Just reached out to my B-I-L, to see if he'd like to have it. At least it'd stay in the family that way.

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks. Just reached out to my B-I-L, to see if he'd like to have it. At least it'd stay in the family that way.

And we have a winner: The B-I-L said he'd love to have it. He's never smoked before, so maybe we'll gain another convert.

This is what I have done to mine. I do continue to use it as a charcoal smoker. Thanks dward.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky