Any Thoughts on Using Beef Tallow on Butcher Paper When Wrapping Brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
I was watching a few videos, Mad Scientist BBQ for one, where he used beef tallow on his butcher paper before wrapping the brisket. He simply splashed some liquid tallow across the area where the brisket will be resting and then wrapped it accordingly. His post-cook comments said it was the most tender, juiciest brisket he ever had and feels that this is the "secret" that Franklin uses at his place.

Has anyone ever used tallow in this manner? Results? Opinions?

Thanks

Last edited:
I recently did this with bacon fat on a rack of ribs and quite frankly.. I won't be repeating it.

Reactions: eaglewing
My last brisket I made I rendered the trimmings down In the smoker. Brushed some on the brisket and brushed some on the butcher paper and id say it def made a diff in the juiciness of the brisket. Idk if it has to be wagyu tallow which is what Jeremy uses on mad scientist, but I’ll def be using tallow from here on out.

I recently did this with bacon fat on a rack of ribs and quite frankly.. I won't be repeating it.
Good to know.

Couple questions:
-You DO normally wrap, and just mean the flavor?
-With butcher/parchment/baking paper?
-What about the flavor did you not like (with bacon I could see it adding too much salt vs smoked lard)?
-What do you usually wrap with, if anything?

Good to know.

Couple questions:
-You DO normally wrap, and just mean the flavor?
-With butcher/parchment/baking paper?
-What about the flavor did you not like (with bacon I could see it adding too much salt vs smoked lard)?
-What do you usually wrap with, if anything?

It was my first time wrapping with butcher paper as well.. which soaked up all the bacon fat and really made a mess.. and it basically put a crispy bark on the outside of the ribs that wasn't what I was looking for.
I didn't find any additional flavor jumping out at me and no.. it wasn't too salty or anything like that.. this was commercial bacon that I rendered in the smoker while smoking the ribs uncovered for the first 2 hours. This was NOT the Duroc Pork bacon that I recently made.
When I wrap ribs I have used foil - though I do have more butcher paper to do another test on the ribs without the bacon fat added.

As I mentioned to the OP in one of their many other threads was to keep it simple for their first brisket - we'll see how that works out! HAHA

Reactions: Hamdrew
and it basically put a crispy bark on the outside of the ribs that wasn't what I was looking for.

That is the arguable "plus" for using paper over foil, IMO. Bark stays dang near the same as unwrapped.

and thanks for your reply! I am going to try it at least once. Might smoke coconut oil too and see if it's any different.
IMG_20210703_143601.jpg

IMG_20210703_144511.jpg

Todays are foiled with Parkay and Country Bob's Original BBQ sauce

That is the arguable "plus" for using paper over foil, IMO. Bark stays dang near the same as unwrapped.

and thanks for your reply! I am going to try it at least once. Might smoke coconut oil too and see if it's any different.
View attachment 502378

View attachment 502379

I use coconut oil all the time on my wife’s ribs. She loves them

View attachment 502378

View attachment 502379

I encourage you to try it and see how it works for you.. I was not a fan of it but as we all know.. there's 1000 ways to skin a cat right?

I use coconut oil all the time on my wife’s ribs. She loves them
I almost always use some in the wrap to sort of stretch out that expensive Parkay, lol; it does seem to sorta meld all of the drippings better and makes for a better glaze. I used the last of mine (coconut oil) last week to fry chicken, though, and while I saved it and it smells great, did not use any. I am gonna have to try that sometime.

kilo charlie kilo charlie Yup. keeps making the same thing over and over interesting

Reactions: kilo charlie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky