Brisket 2nd Go 'round (when to take peach paper off)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lancelot61

Original poster
May 9, 2010
Texas
Happy Independence Day Everyone!
This is only my second go at smoking a brisket. First one was just ok.

This smoke started when one of my friends from work has a father-in-law that sells beef. My co-workers and I decided to buy some Chianina briskets from him as we had heard briskets would be hard to find at stores. His father-in-law delivered them to us at work, what a great father-in-law. When I went to prepare it, the fat cap was already about 1/4" or so, nice butcher job! I made up my rub and gave it a good rub down. Since it was a 10# brisket, figured smoking time was about 11-12 hours. I use an Oklahoma Joe offset smoker (nice stick burner that was a father's day gift from my rib loving son!). At about the 9th hour, the brisket hit a stall at 174. As I have read on here, this is when I wrapped it in peach paper (nice stuff I got off Amazon for a great price). Once wrapped, began to think... how long do I leave it wrapped? Immediately came on here to the chat and low and behold.... got an answer just that quick. Until it's done or take it off about an hour before for a good bark. I love bark, so off it will come an hour before. Right now the temp is at 180. Just added the second chimney of lump not to long ago to keep the temp which has been running at a solid at 250-275. Had been adding a chunk of lump every so often, needed a bit more to keep her smoking good. Utilizing pecan from my parents' tree from pruning last season with locally made mesquite lump charcoal (seems to have a long burn time). Still hoping it turns out good, moist and delicious.

I will post pictures once the smoke is complete. Look forward to comments, questions, and concerns. Happy smoking!!

Hi there and welcome!

It may take a little longer than your estimated time. Don't worry if u run at 275F the brisket wont care.

Remember the brisket is done when tender. It is tender when u can stab all over (especially middle of the flat) using a kabob skewer or your temp probe and it goes in like butter.
Let us know how it comes out :)

Hi there and welcome!

It may take a little longer than your estimated time. Don't worry if u run at 275F the brisket wont care.

Remember the brisket is done when tender. It is tender when u can stab all over (especially middle of the flat) using a kabob skewer or your temp probe and it goes in like butter.
Let us know how it comes out :)

Thank you for the advice! This is such a great forum for all things smoked!

Reactions: tallbm
After a 12 hour plus smoke and pulled when the brisket hit 205. Put it in a cooler for another hour. Unwrapped and sliced. It was delicious; however it was late, still have a good plate with some 'tater salad, and a couple of deviled eggs. Cold beer to wash them down. What to change for next one, start a lot earlier!! Started at 8 in the morning, would start at least at 4:30/5 AM. Used my own recipe for a rub and it was good just like that.

Thank you to the chat for helping with information!

As promised... here's some pics! Enjoy!

7-4-2020 smoke.jpg 7-4-2020 smoke 3.jpg 7-4-2020 smoke 2.jpg 7-4-2020 smoke 8.jpg 7-4-2020 smoke 5.jpg 7-4-2020 smoke 6.jpg 7-4-2020 smoke 7.jpg

Hello everyone!
I'm attempting my first brisket this weekend and I have a fair amount of knowledge in regards to smoking meat in general, with that said I still have some questions for brisket. I have two 6lb points!
I plan on dry brining with salt for about 14 hours. Seasoning and injecting beef broth about 2 hours before I put it on the smoker. 1.5 hours per pound puts me at a 9 hour smoke time for the two 6 pound points and I plan on wrapping them in pink butcher paper when it begins to stall at around 155°F.
Question #1 Should I spray the briskets at all before wrapping since I'm injecting, if so how often?
Question #2 Do I leave the butcher paper on while resting or wrap in foil?
Thank you very much for your time!

Hello everyone!
I'm attempting my first brisket this weekend and I have a fair amount of knowledge in regards to smoking meat in general, with that said I still have some questions for brisket. I have two 6lb points!
I plan on dry brining with salt for about 14 hours. Seasoning and injecting beef broth about 2 hours before I put it on the smoker. 1.5 hours per pound puts me at a 9 hour smoke time for the two 6 pound points and I plan on wrapping them in pink butcher paper when it begins to stall at around 155°F.
Question #1 Should I spray the briskets at all before wrapping since I'm injecting, if so how often?
Question #3 At what hour should I start checking the internal temperature for the 6lb points?

Hello everyone!

Hi there and welcome!

Since you are doing only points you will have a hard time messing them up, they are super forgiving. It's the flat that is the problem child.

#1 I wouldn't spray that what so ever. I roll whole packers naked the entire time with no injecting or spraying and they come out amazing so you don't really have to do any spraying. Also I would suggest you wait until about 170-180F internal temp to wrap so you get more bark and smoke and avoid making a brisket that taste like oven roast beef instead of smoked bbq brisket.

#2 You can leave the paper on but I personally would pull it off to avoid the mess of paper tearing up and such since u are wrapping in foil and resting. Just saves you a step and maybe a little time and mess.

#3 Briskets don't care what temp you smoke them at, but you didnt mention a temp. I do my whole packers at a very even 275F smoker temp and they take a little over an hour a pound where I do them unwrapped the whole time and I do not open the door to check for tenderness until about 200F IT of the meat.
If you dont have a leave in thermometer and you were doing 275F I would check with an instant thermometer at about 6 hours and if over 170F I would check back in 2 more hours.
Also remember that briskets are done when they are tender not by temp. The temp just tells you when to check for tenderness. You check for tenderness by stabbing all over with something like a wooden kabob skewer and if it goes in like butter ALL OVER then it is done.
Points are simple so check for tenderness around 195F IT on your brisket and if it isn't ready wait about 45min -1hr and try again and judge from there.

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: McGumbo
Hi there and welcome!

Since you are doing only points you will have a hard time messing them up, they are super forgiving. It's the flat that is the problem child.

#1 I wouldn't spray that what so ever. I roll whole packers naked the entire time with no injecting or spraying and they come out amazing so you don't really have to do any spraying. Also I would suggest you wait until about 170-180F internal temp to wrap so you get more bark and smoke and avoid making a brisket that taste like oven roast beef instead of smoked bbq brisket.

#2 You can leave the paper on but I personally would pull it off to avoid the mess of paper tearing up and such since u are wrapping in foil and resting. Just saves you a step and maybe a little time and mess.

#3 Briskets don't care what temp you smoke them at, but you didnt mention a temp. I do my whole packers at a very even 275F smoker temp and they take a little over an hour a pound where I do them unwrapped the whole time and I do not open the door to check for tenderness until about 200F IT of the meat.
If you dont have a leave in thermometer and you were doing 275F I would check with an instant thermometer at about 6 hours and if over 170F I would check back in 2 more hours.
Also remember that briskets are done when they are tender not by temp. The temp just tells you when to check for tenderness. You check for tenderness by stabbing all over with something like a wooden kabob skewer and if it goes in like butter ALL OVER then it is done.
Points are simple so check for tenderness around 195F IT on your brisket and if it isn't ready wait about 45min -1hr and try again and judge from there.

I hope this info helps :)

Thank you so much, this helps alot!
I planned on smoking them at 250°F but I'll definitely bump it up to 275°F. I will also wait to wrap them until IT of 170-180°F. I dont have a "leave in thermometer" so I'll check temp around the 6 hour mark! Thanks again!

Thank you so much, this helps alot!
I planned on smoking them at 250°F but I'll definitely bump it up to 275°F. I will also wait to wrap them until IT of 170-180°F. I dont have a "leave in thermometer" so I'll check temp around the 6 hour mark! Thanks again!

Yeah I think u will be in business. BTW the point is the best part of the brisket so get ready to enjoy :)

Reactions: McGumbo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky