Any reccomendations for a long lasting digital themometer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dgross

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
The boonies of NC
Hi everyone :)! I need a recommendation for a good thermometer that won't crap out after a couple of smokes. Had a couple of good ones that worked for a few years and then died. The polder replacement worked for only one smoke and has gone fubar on me... Very frustrated ;)! Would love some input on what you all recommend using inside a pork butt to monitor the internal temp. Thanks in advance, Daun

Thanks so much for your recommendations dirtsailor2003! I've known about the Thermopen for years, but was hoping for a cheaper option. Haven't heard about the Maveric and will have to do some research on that. Thanks again for such a quick reply! Enjoy your smoke! D

Sorry, also need to check out the iGrill dual probe also
thumb1.gif

I have my second maverick redi check setup the ET 732 and it works great. My last single probe unit is still working at least 8 years of hard use. Just needs A new probe. This is the real deal. The trick is to never ever get the probes wet where they connect to the wires. Don't have A thermapen yet but is on my short list.

I really like my iGrill. The probes were spot on out of the box and the Bluetooth range is better than my Maveric ET-732. The Maveric is a good unit and I still use it as a back up or if I am smoking a bunch of meat that needs monitoring. On the iGrill I like how easy it is to create alarms and range alarms. The graphing feature is kind of fun to look at too.

Last edited:
I really like my iGrill. The probes were spot on out of the box and the Bluetooth range is better than my Maveric ET-732. The Maveric is a good unit and I still use it as a back up or if I am smoking a bunch of meat that needs monitoring. On the iGrill I like how easy it is to create alarms and range alarms. The graphing feature is kind of fun to look at too.

This shocks me... I thought the I grill was 200 feet and the Mav was 300 feet. I love my Mav, haven't tried the I grill.

Just looked at the iGrill website, looks awesome. Just have to update my smartphone since I still have a DroidX, LOL!! Thanks for all of the input from you fellow smokers
icon_confused.gif
!! Going to check my 2 boston butts now with an analog device
icon_rolleyes.gif

Just looked at the iGrill website, looks awesome. Just have to update my smartphone since I still have a DroidX, LOL!! Thanks for all of the input from you fellow smokers :icon_confused: !! Going to check my 2 boston butts now with an analog device :icon_rolleyes: .
the Mav ET-732 is a great thermometer, no matter what kind of phone you have :pot:

176 on the larger of the two, that is ok 'cause I have great jams and a great frosty bev. by my side ;). I do think that the local windy conditions have hindered my smoking times today though. Oh well, that is part of chasing the sometimes elusive TBS- lol!

bgosnel151, Thanks for the suggestion, this looks like a great find. My hubby is into baking bread and this looks like a great all purpose therm. for general use for our different interests
thumb1.gif
! Thanks again to you all and would still love to hear any other suggestions since I won't be purchasing one for at least a month since our annual beach vacation is on the horizon
icon_biggrin.gif

I use the 732 as my go to but for quick checks i   bought a Extech 39272 Thermometer Fold-Up Pocket Style.

for less than half the cost of a thermapen  been having it about two years now works great.

the Mav ET-732 is a great thermometer, no matter what kind of phone you have
pot.gif
I have to agree wholeheartedly with you! 
thumb1%20copy.gif
  I don't have cell service where I live so it makes no sense at all for me to waste money on a smart phone & data plan. My Mav however works anywhere in the house & down in my shop which is half underground - it even works behind the barn which is over the 300 foot rated range...

2 1/2 Years on my MAV 732 with only one battery change and zero problems. Well the White case is now brown from being close to the MES exhaust, but solved that too. I just bought a second one in Black,,,JJ 

Maverick ET-732. I now have 4 of them - the oldest being 2 1/2 years. Still as good as gold though I have had to change a couple of probes. Batteries seem to last forever!

Agreed 100%
Craig, sorry that you haven't had good luck with yours. I have had nothing but great luck with mine. It has better range than my ET-732. The iGrill is also more accurate than my et-732.  My ET-732 is now almost 3 years old and I have been through 2 sets of probes. So far at a year old, two 15 minute sprinkler sessions and an all night rain storm I am still using the original probes that came with the iGrill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky