Any idea how "blackforest ham" lunchmeat is made?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
I know how "ham" is made and that real blackforest ham is nothing like the stuff we buy in stores, but I still love the stuff. Is it just extra smokey? I think there might be some coloring and/or small amount of spice rub. Anyone know anything? Thanks in advance!

From my research, it is cold smoked with juniper and evergreen limbs. That is what gives it the black color....
Info is hard to come by...this was a thread post on another forum from years ago by someone that lived in the area....

Reactions: sawhorseray
To make a Black Forest ham a Raw ham is salted and seasoned with garlic, coriander, pepper, juniper berries and other spices. After curing for two to three weeks, the salt is removed and the ham aged an additional two weeks. It is then cold-smoked using local conifers and sawdust at a very hot temperature for several days. This process takes time but it’s worth it

Reactions: zwiller
Thanks. Funny to see myself in that thread... I should have made it clear: how is store bought stuff like Dietz and Watson "black forest ham" made? I never have expressed myself well in prose...

Thanks. Funny to see myself in that thread... I should have made it clear: how is store bought stuff like Dietz and Watson "black forest ham" made? I never have expressed myself well in prose...
No pointed criticism intended.....but, as a point of clarification, the word 'imitation' should have been used...
*edit to add: I now see that you did use 'lunch meat' in your title....

Imitation Black Forest Hams are made in North America.

They have no rind, and because they are cured with brine, inside they look like a regular brine-cured ham. They may be smoked or smoke-flavoured. The outside is coloured with caramel. In Canada, processors got permission in March 1999 to use iron oxide instead of caramel. This allows “an easier and more economical production of the traditional black coating on black forest ham” (Canada Gazette. Vol. 133, No. 5 — 3 March 1999.)[quote/]

https://www.cooksinfo.com/black-forest-ham

Hope that helps..
Poke around on the web but use the word imitation and a lot of results come up....

Found this...
https://www.thespruceeats.com/german-smoked-pork-schwarzwaelder-1447058

That might be your best option for what you are looking for...

*edit- I'd reduce the cure from 1/2 oz. to about 3 grams....

*edit #2- I see now that he is only curing the ham for 4 hours. Thus he is using a gradient cure method which is why both the salt and cure#1 amounts are so high..to get salt and cure in the meat fast. Gradient curing is time dependent...leave it in too long and it's too salty, too short and it won't be properly cured.

I suggest doing an equilibrium cure to avoid this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
To make a Black Forest ham a Raw ham is salted and seasoned with garlic, coriander, pepper, juniper berries and other spices. After curing for two to three weeks, the salt is removed and the ham aged an additional two weeks. It is then cold-smoked using local conifers and sawdust at a very hot temperature for several days. This process takes time but it’s worth it
Cold smoked at very high temp?

Reactions: chopsaw
Most of the "deli" Black Forest Ham I find is pressed meat.
Same as the "Canadian Bacon" you find in many stores.
I'm spoiled now that I make loin bacon.

Sam
Did you give it a try with a cured and spiced slab of loin?
Not the same as a leg of ham but better than pressed.

Most of the "deli" Black Forest Ham I find is pressed meat.
Same as the "Canadian Bacon" you find in many stores.
I'm spoiled now that I make loin bacon.

Sam
Did you give it a try with a cured and spiced slab of loin?
Not the same as a leg of ham but better than pressed.
It could very well be pressed meat but it is nothing like cheap ham loafs and is very high quality. I have spent much time reading labels and most show "natural smoke flavor" AKA liquid smoke but the brand I prefer (Dietz and Watson) shows "with natural juices". I went down that rabbit hole and apparently this is "USDA talk" for injecting the juice the ham gives off during the smoke but is basically the same as liquid smoke. Also, nearly all labels show spices and or extracts but I do not taste them. This could actually be some of the flavor but doubt it is the main one.

Yes, I ran a loin but no spice. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/german-style-cured-loin.295767/
I have run a number of loins (actually may favorite smoke) and while tasty but unfortunately no where near as good as store bought BF ham. There are few other threads about making black forest hams but no one seems to have got it down. IMO it is a much longer smoke and is probably all cold smoke followed by a bath. I plan to try and figure it out but was just hoping someone else already has. This is probably the closest related thread. Cliff notes: 36hrs of smoke and still not enough... https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/black-forest-canadian-bacon.255890/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky