My first Ham. Brag, and crit...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DailyLunatic

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
Ban Ko Kaeo, Thailand
Okay, this is the small loin end bit (450g) I spoke about two weeks ago. Cured in the Vac bag. This is NOT the hams I moved to the freezer a couple of days ago.

I had ordered a Sous Vide, and it was delivered the other day. It got me jonesing for my ham, so I read up and sous vide for 3 hours at 60°C per my recipe.

I was surprised at the amount of water that cooked out of it. (adding a touch of phosphate to the next ham I start. :emoji_fingers_crossed:)

Flavor: Not a strong 'ham' flavor. (Mildly disappointing). Salt was good, needs a bit more sugar (will try upping to 1.5%), and had a rosemary presence at the finish (too much in my opinion. Cutting by half next ham) I will experiment with various other spices one at a time until I find something I like. Next up - clove.

Texture: It was not dry, but not exactly juicy either. Adequate mouth feel, but grainy just a touch when chewed and crumbled slightly on the edges when cut. Not tooo bad. I'm hoping the phosphate will help with the crumble, and with water retention (start at 0.1% and work up from there).

Also, going to try adding 0.2% powdered smoke to the next ham as well. I'm working on an outdoor kitchen/pergola, and until that is finished, I don't have a way to smoke. (Wife would 'literally' rip my temp smoker apart and stack the bricks neatly. "No beautiful!")

It is SOOO good to have a proper thick cut ham again. I didn't know how much I had missed it.

-sterling

S__17743878_0.jpg

S__27770891_0.jpg
S__17743875_0.jpg

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Nice work, looks good.
On phosphate, I use it in all my hams. Add at .4% to meat weight.
Thank you.
On phosphate, I don't have access to the same compound as that commonly used in the US. Local FDA advises 0.3% max on what I have. Because of that, I'm a bit skittish, and will be starting low and working up.
Good to know that people here use it on their hams, too. I was afraid it might be thought of as a cheat here among all the pros. :emoji_grin:

-sterling

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky