Another rookie from Michigan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bushwhackdave

Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
SW MI
Hello all! I found this website while looking for info on my new smoking hobby. Thank you all for the valuable info. I just got my first smoker, a small Smokey Hollow. Thought i was getting an electric, but accidentally bought the gas. Now im glad i got the gas, i love it. Couldnt wait to fire it up, so did chicken thighs, pork chops, and a venison roast my first week. Everything was wonderful!!! Ive used only apple wood chips. Tomorrow ill be smoking myfirst pork butt for my sons birthday party. Its 11 lbs, so should take me ALL day. I plan on starting very early morning. The party is friday. Thanks again all!

Welcome to smokingmeatforums. You will love it. As for the butt, I learned to do pulled pork here and my family all said it was the best pork BBQ they had ever had. It wasn't my great smoking skill, but my ability to follow the suggestions of the members here that made the pork so good. You will be a better cook because of this website.

Hello and welcome from East Texas, let us how your pork butt turns out.

Gary S

Hello, welcome from Frankenmuth! Great site to start a smoking habit! Tons of advice, suggestions, and ways to solve problems or experiment with something. After spending time on this site, nothing I've searched for hasn't yet been smoked by someone somewhere.

Pork turned out fantastic! Put it on at 3 a.m., went back to bed on couch. When i checked on it at 6, it went up to 300 and i got nervous. The chips burned up as well as most my water pan. I dont think it was at 300 long. Tended to it and got it to stay at 250. I add new chips every hour or 2. Pulled and wrapped it in foil and finished in oven. When it hit 200 IT, i wrapped in a towel and put in cooler for just over 1 hour. Pulled it by hand and added the finishing sauce. Wanted to keep eating it, but need to save it for the party tomorrow!

An 11 lb. Butt only took me 10 hours. I expected longer, but was extremely happy with results.

I pulled one of those 3 a.m. the other day. What I didn't do was to add finishing sauce, wish I would have thought of that. I'm new and learning as well

Guess i didnt need to wake up so early. Everything i read suggested allowing 1.5 hours per pound. Maybe i cooked it at a slightly higher temp. It was at 250 for most of the cook. So delicous though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky