Another Prime Rib (Hickory Smoke)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Another Prime Rib (Hickory Smoke)

Still can't get enough of these things!!!

I had a 5.37 lb Choice Prime Rib that kept winking at me every time I opened the Meat Freezer.
I just had to put a stop to that, so below is what I did about it.

Prepping (12-8-2013):------Rinse, Dry, and cut a block pattern through the fat cap to the meat. Then apply a little Sea Salt, CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder. Then wrapped it in Plastic wrap, and put it in my fridge for the night.

Smoking Day (12-9-13):
11:30----------Preheat MES 40 to 220*
11:30----------Fill 2 rows of AMNPS with Hickory pellets, and light one end.
12:00----------Put Roast on wire rack, in foil pan, on smoking shelf, in #2 position in smoker.
12:00----------Put smoking AMNPS on bars, to left of chip burner assembly.
3:00------------Insert sterile probe into center of Roast. Internal Temp is at 109*
3:30------------118* IT
4:00------------126* IT
4:30------------133* IT
4:45------------135* IT-----Cut heat to 100* and open door to get heat down to 120*
4:50------------136* IT
5:00------------138* IT
5:15------------136* IT-----Remove Prime Rib from Smoker

Slice, plate, add sides, and eat.

Note: This is the first time I tried this without coating it with Worcestershire (Thick) before adding seasonings. It will also be the last time.
Also I found putting Roast on wire rack in foil pan did not lessen the smoke flavor, and makes a lot less clean-up trouble.

Hope You Enjoy,

Bear

Another Choice Prime Rib @ $4.99 per Lb:
DSCN0331.jpg

Seasoned, wrapped, and ready for over night rest in Fridge:
DSCN0336.jpg

In the smoker, starting to pick up Hickory Smoke:
DSCN0337.jpg

Closer Look through the looking glass:
DSCN0339.jpg

Perfect Hickory TBS:
DSCN0342.jpg

3 Hours in---Insert Probe:
DSCN0345.jpg

Ready to come out:
DSC05024.jpg

Ready for slicing:
DSC05028.jpg

All sliced up. Two big ones on top for Supper. The rest sliced thin for reheating later:
DSC05032.jpg

Bear's Supper:
DSC05036.jpg

Bear Jr's Wife furnished dessert (Cinnamon Bun Tree) for her Pappa Bear:
photo2.jpg

And some icing on top for her Big Sweet Pappa Bear:
photo3.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: hoity toit
How soon after, did you go ahead and kill that cow?

Looks-Great.gif

Looks great!  Sounds like a plan for Christmas eve for me.

OOPS. I forgot...I have to do a turkey Christmas morn, so I think I'll try this one New Years Eve.

Kudos and another bear hug to the Bear.  
77.gif

Fred

Another awesome PR Bear.....
drool.gif
    .Wish I can get those prices down here.....

Mmmm...another great Prime Rib, Bear!  That looks delicious.  I've got one in the freezer right now that's going to get a similar treatment very soon...
drool.gif

Red

Thank You Scott !!!

I figured you'd like this one!

Tasted Great-----Still got leftovers in freezer.

Bear
You're welcome!  I should do a roast once in a while, and get creative with the leftovers. 

I scored this beauty at Costco the other day.   Labeled as choice, but looks more like their prime they sell.  $8.99 lb. I cut a 7 lb roast into 6 steaks. 

How soon after, did you go ahead and kill that cow?

Looks-Great.gif

Looks great!  Sounds like a plan for Christmas eve for me.

OOPS. I forgot...I have to do a turkey Christmas morn, so I think I'll try this one New Years Eve.

Kudos and another bear hug to the Bear.  
77.gif

Fred
Thank Fred!!!

New Year's Eve would be a Great time for one of these!!!

Bear

Another awesome PR Bear.....
drool.gif
    .Wish I can get those prices down here.....
Thank You Joe!!

I was hoping the sale would start today. but I can't find my paper. The twsp snow plow not only buried my Sunday Paper. He busted my mailbox in half & bent my kid's mailbox some. $#%^&*&^%$-----I was snowblowing at the time & saw it happen!!!  Wife says she can get the sale flyer on line.

Bear

Mmmm...another great Prime Rib, Bear!  That looks delicious.  I've got one in the freezer right now that's going to get a similar treatment very soon...
drool.gif

Red
Thank You Red!!!

Just can't beat a Prime Rib!!  I love 'em!!

Bear

You're welcome!  I should do a roast once in a while, and get creative with the leftovers. 

I scored this beauty at Costco the other day.   Labeled as choice, but looks more like their prime they sell.  $8.99 lb. I cut a 7 lb roast into 6 steaks. 
Somebody said Costco in Jersey has them $4.99 right now, but no Costco near here. I have to hope for Giant or Weiss' to do their usual $4.99 Pre-Christmas sale.

Last time it was $4.99, I got 70 pounds. Had mostly 6 pounders, Turned two of them into ten 1 1/4 " Ribeyes, kept 8 of them whole, between 5 & six pounds, without the bones. And all the Rib Bones were kept separate for two packs of Dinos @ 7 pounds per pack.

That was two years ago, and after this one I just smoked, I have one left.

Bear

Looks great, I will have to watch for them to go on sale.

Bear I did your recipe last New Years and I agree,,,,put the thick Worcestershire on... man is that good. i plan on doing it again this New Years. Hickory YES !

Hoity Toit
Thanks Hoity!!

I'm glad you like my method.

Sounds like another Great New Year's for you!!!

Bear

Wow how do I miss these things! That is amazing Bear but I would expect no less......

I have been thinking about trying one again. Have you tried the Totanka dust yet?

BTW I like that tree, that's too cool especially since I like cinnamon rolls! Looks like Bear Jr.can pick 'em too!

Last edited:

Looks great, I will have to watch for them to go on sale.
Thanks Farmer!!

No sale at Giant this week---Maybe next week, beginning on Sunday (12-22).

Weiss' has $4.99, but that's only "Select"---Their Choice is $7.99 now.

Bear

Wow how do I miss these things! That is amazing Bear but I would expect no less......

I have been thinking about trying one again. Have you tried the Totanka dust yet?

BTW I like that tree, that's too cool especially since I like cinnamon rolls! Looks like Bear Jr.can pick 'em too!
Thanks Foamy!!!

I like T-dust on Burgers & other things, but I don't like anything like that on my Prime Ribs. I gotta have that Beef flavor. Most times I don't even use salt.

Bear

Bear, can't tell.  Is that bone-in?  How'd it do in the foil pan?  IMO, it looked a little rare.  Would you suggest an IT temp for medium?  142-145ish?  Higher?

Thanks!

Bear, can't tell.  Is that bone-in?  How'd it do in the foil pan?  IMO, it looked a little rare.  Would you suggest an IT temp for medium?  142-145ish?  Higher?

Thanks!
I like it to carry over to about 140*-142*, but this time when I killed it at 136* it only carried to 138*. I should have waited until 139*-140* to kill it. My favorite finish temp is between 137* and 142* for Medium Rare. I guess for Medium, you could go to 146* to 148*.

This one was boneless:

Last time I got some for $4.99, I got 70 pounds. Had mostly 6 pounders, Turned two of them into ten 1 1/4 " boneless Ribeyes, kept 8 of them whole, between 5 & six pounds, without the bones. And all the Rib Bones were kept separate for two packs of Dinos @ 7 pounds per pack.

So to me the difference between boneless and bone in, is not worth the joy of having 14 pounds of Beef Dino Ribs.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky