Another New Toy (Bears Love New Toys!!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It does look like it will come in handy especially for weather like were expecting tonight into tomorrow. Nice job on that plate of vittles bear.

Point for sure.
Chris

Morning Bear ,,, Was wondering if that gets hot enough to use with the SV to sear ?

Morning Bear ,,, Was wondering if that gets hot enough to use with the SV to sear ?

I believe so.
I'll let you know for sure soon, but the digital dial is numbered to 450°, and it actually goes past there on the dial.
On my list is some Deerburgers, then some Kabobs (SV first), so I'll know soon.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Thats kind of cool! Back in the 80's I had what I think they called a "smokeless BBQ" and it definitely wasn't smokeless or a BBQ. No grill like yours has, and no fan. I tried it once or twice and then it got sold at the next garage sale. It was terrible! Looked something like this.

Yeah, the Jury is still out on this one, but these things seem to have come a long way.
There's another one that says it's Smokeless, by using Infrared heat from the sides, so that the drippings don't fall onto any heating element, but the clear panels between the heat & the Meat get all built up with grease & they say terrible to clean.
I'll know better how good this one works in a couple weeks.

Bear

Bear are you still dialing in that smoking gun thingy?

Chris

Very nice looking ribeye, Bear!

My mother got one of these for Christmas and she invited my wife and I to come over and try it.

We cooked thick-cut strip steaks, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2” thick. It kind of cooked the steaks unevenly for us, like you said. The outside was overcooked by the time the center of the meat was at our preferred IT. My mom loved it, she likes her steaks well-done.

Having only used it once, I can’t say anything about it. I think the grill would be awesome for burgers, chicken, shrimp, pork and grilled veggies...thinner steaks would work well, I just think it would struggle with a thick cut steak or pork chop.

Well you have some nasty weather coming to put it to the test. We’re getting about 12-16” here.

Thank You Xray!!
The unevenness I had was from various point on the Grill, I think because it wasn't preheated good enough.
The steaks I grill are always only between 3/4" and 1" Thick.
After I already had the steak on the Grill, I shot it with my Laser Therm, and I had huge differences from here to there.
I got a couple things planned to try---I'll get it figured out. LOL
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

bear does it actually taste like a grilled steak or more of a fried steak, ive looked at grills like this before but always had my doubts if it would actually taste like a grilled steak. hope your ready for the snow!

Thank You Jim!!
I'd say it tastes about like if you do a Steak under your Broiler.
I've only done one steak so far though, so ask me again in a couple weeks.
And Thanks for the Like.

BTW: We were spared a lot of that Snow that attacked the Northeast quarter.

Bear

thanks for info bear, we didn't end up with to much snow but with these temps all that slush is now ice, and all the blowing snow seems to end up in my driveway, how come it never blows out of the driveway just in?

Dang there goes that Bear again new toys. I have one that's real old and it is not smokeless as said in other post should have waited for the up dated model. Oh well live and learn.

Warren

Yeah, but with my luck, if I waited for an updated model, one would never come out.

Bear

It does look like it will come in handy especially for weather like were expecting tonight into tomorrow. Nice job on that plate of vittles bear.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thank You Chris!!
Yup---I'll be using this indoors today.
It was 2° this morning here. Now it's up to 8°, with a Chill factor of about -14°.
My Smoker doesn't work below 20°, because there's nobody out there to turn it on!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Bear are you still dialing in that smoking gun thingy?

Chris

Not Much.
I used it on some Ring Bologna & Cheese plates. It seems to work alright on small amounts like that.
I want to try it on a few other things, but didn't get around to it yet, Like Popcorn.

Bear

thanks for info bear, we didn't end up with to much snow but with these temps all that slush is now ice, and all the blowing snow seems to end up in my driveway, how come it never blows out of the driveway just in?

LOL---I know exactly what you mean, Jim!!
The only thing I can think of is to clear an area near the driveway, instead of the driveway. The snow always blows to the lowest area with a sudden drop off the edge.
The only thing good about the ice is it doesn't Drift.

I got a good one for you:
When my Son built his Pole Barn for his Tower Business, he brought a lot of fill in & built it up a few feet on all sides.
Then a few years ago, we had a Real Ice Storm here, and it was an uphill climb on solid ice to get to any of the entrance doors to the Pole Barn.
So the first Tower Climber to get there, made it to the door after about 8 tries. Then he tied a Rope to the Door Knob & threw it down the hill, so when the other guys got there, they could use the rope to pull themselves up to the door.
I never saw Ice like we had that time!!

Bear

every year I say i'm going to put up snow fence, but my thoughts never get put to action, I have a 10 acre field behind my house and unfortunately the prevailing winds blow the snow right at my house. that's a funny story with your son, like you said though how often do we get ice like that to worry about it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky