Another brisket failure but wait......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oulous

Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
I cooked another brisket and it came out dry. I checked it often in the 8th hour as it neared IT of 175. I took
it all the way to 198 and thought it was done so I took it off. It tasted fine but it was quite dry.
IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1155.jpg

We ate it for a few days and I chopped up the rest to freeze and use it in other dishes.

Yesterday I made a pizza from scratch and used the WSM with the dome cracked and propped on the handle of
a cast iron skillet. I took the mid section off so the pan was just over the coals and with the dome on I got the heat
up to 650ish degrees.

I put some of the frozen brisket on top of the pizza and as soon as we bit into it our eyes lit up. The brisket was soft
and the collagen fully melted. It was cooking at that heat for about 6 minutes from frozen.

Hopefully this helps some others who might be struggling with brisket. Guess ill cook that brisket longer next time
or maybe ill put it in the skillet and blast it like I did with the pizza.

I have 2 photos of one of the pizzas but not the brisket one.

Stop cooking brisket by IT, IT is just the guideline by which you start testing for Probe Tender.
195°-210° with an average of 203°-206° being the sweet spot.

Truth.

Once I got that firmly in my head my briskets always came out decent.

Truth.

Once I got that firmly in my head my briskets always came out decent.

yes thank you for the reminder. I was probing a lot but I’m just inexperienced so it’s hard to tell if it’s done.

I cooked another brisket and it came out dry. I checked it often in the 8th hour as it neared IT of 175. I took
it all the way to 198 and thought it was done so I took it off. It tasted fine but it was quite dry.
View attachment 441076View attachment 441077
We ate it for a few days and I chopped up the rest to freeze and use it in other dishes.

Yesterday I made a pizza from scratch and used the WSM with the dome cracked and propped on the handle of
a cast iron skillet. I took the mid section off so the pan was just over the coals and with the dome on I got the heat
up to 650ish degrees.

I put some of the frozen brisket on top of the pizza and as soon as we bit into it our eyes lit up. The brisket was soft
and the collagen fully melted. It was cooking at that heat for about 6 minutes from frozen.

Hopefully this helps some others who might be struggling with brisket. Guess ill cook that brisket longer next time
or maybe ill put it in the skillet and blast it like I did with the pizza.

I have 2 photos of one of the pizzas but not the brisket one.

Hi there and welcome!

Chili gave you the magic brisket advise.

Now if u want to still eat brisket and have it be tender just throw it in a deep skillet, pot, or crock pot, add some bbq sauce and a little water to thin out the sauce and cook it up.
What you will get is tender chopped style bbq brisket. Chopped bbq brisket mixed with some good bbq sauce is actually my favorite way to eat it and in TX when a lot of people are being served brisket this is the most common way it is served because it goes a longer way than fooling around with slicing it AND all of it goes in so no figure out what to do with crumbles or natural burnt ends, etc.

Give it a shot and let me know how it comes out! :)

Reactions: SmokyMose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky