And it starts!!!! QView!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dv8uagain

Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
Philadelphia, PA.
So I finished everything up today. Charcoal basket done as well as vent mod and plates. started seasoning around 2:30 food on at 4:45... I am extremely happy with the way the Outlay performed. I still have fire place rope and high temp silicone to put on yet but wanted to get a test run in to see the flaws. Temps were almost even side to side at grate level maybe a 3 -4 degree difference. seasoned at 300 then dropped to 250-275 for the ribs and chicken. Ribs took a long time and one rack was perfect the other seemed tough to me. Used Jeff's rub on the ribs and made the sauce and HOLY POOP that's good shit right there... On the BCC's I did butter under the skin and a version of the snake bite chicken rub substituting some ingredients for ones I didn't have. Looking forward to the next session hopefully next weekend if I have some time. I will stop rambling on and get on with the show!!!

This is before i lit her up...

b4b90a6e_starting.jpg

Good Mahogany color... Ribs on!

0bdb6e18_seasnindone.jpg

About to pull chix

58135f26_Done.jpg

And a good clean pull on the rack that was perfect.... Unfortunately its the bottome rack but I was in a hurry to Shoot pic and eat

ef04f7e9_goodpull.jpg

Nice inaugural run!  Congrats, and welcome to the smoker's world!  One request, though: pix of the smoke ring in the meat -- AKA the Money Shot -- we can drool and oooohhhh and aaaahhhh!

Thanks everyone it was a blast and i think Jeff's is even better today... Used bacon grease for the seasoning that was fun all the neighbors came out when they started smelling the bacon.

I may try to do some steaks one day this week in on top of the charcoal basket where I have the one grate sitting should be nice and hot in there. It feels so good to be able to smoke some food without having drive up to a buddies house every time to do it.

How long do you usually let it go to even out temps before putting food on. I still have to fire it up just using the charcoal basket as when I did the seasoning I also put some lump in the main chamber to bring some temp up in there without too much in the fire box.

Anytime you're up from GA in Philly feel free to stop by this whole thing is about good friends and good times....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky