Nuking a steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paneraica

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 26, 2020
Nuking a steak.

My fingers were bigger than my eyes and a butcher cut me some 1.5" striploins (ordered the day before so not pre checked). I no longer have a BBQ which means broiling in the oven.

Fine for thinner steaks, but I think the outsides will cook faster leaving the inside too raw and pink

I have nuked thicker cuts (inside/outside roast) before broiling, so figure not much different with a steak

Maybe 3 minutes on high (roast was 10 min. H)

Other maybe broiling on a low rack 7.5 minutes per side and then moving up to the higher rack

Thoughts?

Thanks

DON

Reactions: JLeonard
No chance I'd put a steak in the microwave. Nice thick steak like that I'd cook on low temp in the oven (200-250F) to within 15-20 degrees of your finish temp then reverse sear in a super hot cast iron pan. Really any hot pan. Here's a link https://www.seriouseats.com/reverse-seared-steak-recipe

Sounds good. Have an old steel pan and someone mention on a sear search for ripping hot to heat pan to 6 on oven burner. Anything more not good, but hot as you can get it is 9 on the oven burner. Which is better?

Also. How long each side on the sear?

Anything in pan? Dab of oil?

Thanks

DON

Please no MW…..put the pan on mid high - dry, when hot add a bit of oil (tbsp), sear each side and edges, 2-3 mins per side, you are just looking for nice color…..drop 2 tbsp of butter with some herbs and garlic tilt the the pan so you can spoon the melted butter over it…..spoon for about 30-45 second, then in the 375 degree oven to finish to desired INT….put the pan right in the oven…. You can do 2 strips per pan

Agree with above . Did these last year .

Here's what I'm doing

250 for 35 minutes and then reverse sear in a steel pan

Doing 2 steaks and pan that holds 2 has a plastic handle, so no popping in the oven. One with steel can only hold one

Will check the temp with my new thermopop for 125 and reverse sear to 140 if all goes well.

If not. Add a bit of broiling to the mix

Thanks

Reactions: jcam222
Here's what I'm doing

250 for 35 minutes and then reverse sear in a steel pan

Doing 2 steaks and pan that holds 2 has a plastic handle, so no popping in the oven. One with steel can only hold one

Will check the temp with my new thermopop for 125 and reverse sear to 140 if all goes well.

If not. Add a bit of broiling to the mix

Thanks
You can also put it on a cookie sheet that is hot, ie put it in the oven to get hot and then transfer the steaks to it to finish. Just note the method above is how Gordon Ramsey cooks his steaks in hell kitchen….. I’ve have one of his HC Vegas pan seared oven finished NY and it is a money maker…..

Edit - pour the butter and oil and herbs over the top once you transfer it

Reactions: jcam222
Oven cooked and into the pan. Sorry, but no butter or herbs. I'm a heretic in that I like ketchup with my steak and a can of Coke.

Some pink inside. Easily chewable and not bad

Maybe a new BBQ next summer

Thanks

DON

Oven cooked and into the pan. Sorry, but no butter or herbs. I'm a heretic in that I like ketchup with my steak and a can of Coke.

Some pink inside. Easily chewable and not bad

Maybe a new BBQ next summer

Thanks

DON
Ah….got ya in that case salt and pepper sear I the hot pan then finish in the oven…. I have cooked many many steaks for mid to well done and the soft finish in the oven retains the moisture and tender texture……good luck!

Reactions: chopsaw
A can of Coke - YUCK. :emoji_laughing:

I know a couple of folks that like ketchup with their well done steak. To each their own. Glad you got it cooked up to your liking.

Chris

Ah….got ya in that case salt and pepper sear I the hot pan then finish in the oven…. I have cooked many many steaks for mid to well done and the soft finish in the oven retains the moisture and tender texture……good luck!
Just used some garlic powder both sides. Didn't finish in the oven. Oven to Pan to plate

Didn't get any crust from the sear. Not sure if I was supposed to. maybe next time a little added broil at the end

Not fancy. Sort of mom's corner diner type of cook. Down home cooking

Reactions: chopsaw
You got the cooking order switched, HOT pan with oil to sear then finish in the oven….. it’s best to just use salt and pepper while searing in a pan cause other spices with burn. If you don’t have a hot pan with hot oil no sear

Reactions: Retired Spook
Maybe consider a SousVide unit that is the way we do all our steaks now set it for 130 degrees run it for a couple hours. Take them out of the bag pat dry and into a very hot cast iron pan with a little bit of oil in it. Quick sear for the wife she likes rare a little longer sear for mine to get it a little more done. If the wife is cooking then she takes them out of the bag and onto a hot grill outside for the sear.
You get steaks done to your exact desired temp with the SousVide where as you often don't get your actual desired temp on a grill, no flare ups no loosing track of time and going a few minutes to long no hot spots.

Reactions: philpom
Glad you didn't MW it. And as stated above if a grill is not an option get a nice Cast Iron pan. You can do wonderful things with Cast Iron!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky