AMNTS not producing smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WsW-WYATT-EARP

Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Masterbuilt propane cabinet smoker, I get the amnts lit for 10 minutes as instructions state. Blow out flame and lay in the smoker. At this point, the smoke is bellowing. I then close the door and when I come back to check on it, it's barely smoking.

I open door for a bit and within a few minutes it's bellowing again.... Is my placement in the cabinet wrong? I'm guessing it isn't getting the airflow to keep the pellets smoking as they should be?

Any help here would be great!

Thanks!
Ben

Either bad placement, or bad airflow thru the smoker. Do you have a pic of your setup?

Barry.

Last edited:
I'm guessing airflow...

But you also want it to smolder, not bellow thick clouds of smoke. Not much help I'm afraid because it is a fine line every one dances around.

I would think airflow as well.
See, you are using a Propane Smoker. So it is likely to me the flame is starving the inside for oxygen. Especially when you crack the door and it starts bellowing smoke.
But also, as long as there is smoke, even if what you think is too little, there is smoke flavor going on.

What you want to see is referred to as TBS, Thin Blue Smoke, exiting the smokers vent. Often it is hard to see.
But that is perfect for flavor. Very faint, thin, blue appearing smoke. ;)

You'll get there, just keep getting use to your smoker. You are after flavor, not killing mosquitoes. :D
When I'm experimenting, Hot Dogs are my friend. I can smoke Hot Dogs to compare the smoke flavor. They are cheap, and a raw one makes a good reference. Then have different ones pulled at different times to taste.

Always have a cold beer standing by in case you burn a finger. Then hold the beer to cool the burn.
In my case, the beer seems to "evaporate", and I have to get another... :rolleyes: o_O

Reactions: jaxgatorz
I appreciate the replies!

I'm guessing it isn't too far off from what you guys are saying it should be.

I didn't get a chance for pics last night. I'll get some up here soon, I plan to be doing ribs Saturday and will play around more with placement.

SonnyE, I am thinking the same thing as the flame is eating up all the oxygen in the cabinet. I do have all the vents open...

I took into consideration what you guys said, I moved the tube to a different location and was getting better results from it. From what you guys said, I am probably getting the right amount of smoke.

Thanks for the help!

You don't have to actually see the smoke for it to be working. Can you smell the smoke?

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky