amazin pellet smoker vs tube smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Can you use saw dust in smoker tray?

Do you set it on the electric heating element or do you place on a shelf  and light it at one or both ends?

Can you use saw dust in smoker tray?

Do you set it on the electric heating element or do you place on a shelf  and light it at one or both ends?

You can and I do use dust in the pellet tray. The.AMNPS.

I only lite one end. Here is where I place it in my mes 30 1st gen.

Ok, I have bags of apple saw dust (chain saw) that I was thinking of using.

My concern is the dust burning with a flame and not smoldering. Did you wet yours first?

My concern is the dust burning with a flame and not smoldering. Did you wet yours first?

No moisture in the dust. It wont work. Has to be dry.

What bar oil do you use? Do you have veggie oil in there? Might not be safe.

I wouldn't use Chainsaw Dust, because of the Bar & Chain oil in it.

If you want to use Chainsaw Dust, drain the Bar Oil out & replace it with cooking oil. Then the Dust won't be toxic.

Bear

Ray - I also have a Tube, 12", and a lot of left over chips from when I tried to get the MES tray to function. How do you use chips in the Tube? How firmly do you pack them in? How long does a full tube burn for you in a hot MES?

I had a Bradley, IT WAS A POS!  Wood pucks were horribly expensive, always jammed no matter how well I kept it cleaned out, heating element kept burning out, rack were flimsy, digital controls never worked correctly...  $450 mistake.  It went into the junk pile.

I have a MBES40, it was a lot better, but now it is just a holding cabinet or a cold/low temp smoker using an Amazin' Tube. 

I'd toss them all and just get a real pellet smoker. 

Please think very carefully before you go to a pellet smoker. I bought a Treagar about 5 years ago and it ain't cooked anything yet in spite of modifications. Where I live, it was almost $900 before taxes. That was a lot for me so I am reluctant to just ditch it along with about 8 bags of pellets! But it's really just decorating my verandah at this point.

Thanks for the input. Going to cabelas right now to get one and try it out.
icon14.gif

I would recommend the 12" Tube.

Bear

Please think very carefully before you go to a pellet smoker. I bought a Treagar about 5 years ago and it ain't cooked anything yet in spite of modifications. Where I live, it was almost $900 before taxes. That was a lot for me so I am reluctant to just ditch it along with about 8 bags of pellets! But it's really just decorating my verandah at this point.
Low end of the pellet grill market and many known issues.  Don't give up on pellet grills - just get the right one.

By "modifications", I meant replacing parts supplied by the manufacturer which didn't seem to help much. I was going to drag the thing curbside for the next garbage collection when my husband checked out a unit purchased by his niece. He cut two slits in the pan that covers the burner. I gave it one more chance. It produced the most tantalizing leg of lamb I've had since my 1974 hibachi! Now I wouldn't be without it. Since then, I've done pork and salmon and even a baked ham. So I take all the negative remarks back. Happy cookin!

Oh yeah! I'd already bought a big green egg by that time.
Has anyone used one of the Cuisinart outdoor wood ovens? I cook on a wood fired kitchen stove most of the year but summers here in Nova Scotia are just so hot, I don't even want to use my gas stove's oven. I was quite excited when I first saw it but hesitated over the high price tag and am not sure how it would "draw".

Just picked up the extendable pellet tube. With it fully extended it fits perfectly to the width of my smoker and sits right on top of the chip box and under the water pan. Almost seems like it was designed for this smoker. Filled the tube with apple pellets and followed lighting instructions to the letter. I am very optimistic this will fix my lack of smokiness in my butts. Just threw 70# in and will update with pictures as my day/night/early morning progress.
UPDATE: refilled tube for second time. Beautiful TBS, awesome sweet smell.

Previous smoke:

Last edited:
Just picked up the extendable pellet tube. With it fully extended it fits perfectly to the width of my smoker and sits right on top of the chip box and under the water pan. Almost seems like it was designed for this smoker. Filled the tube with apple pellets and followed lighting instructions to the letter. I am very optimistic this will fix my lack of smokiness in my butts. Just threw 70# in and will update with pictures as my day/night/early morning progress.

Previous smoke:
That's Great !!

That's the only Amazing Smoker I don't have, but I heard it Awesome!!!

Now you're ready!!

Bear

That's Great !!

That's the only Amazing Smoker I don't have, but I heard it Awesome!!!

Now you're ready!!

Bear
Thanks for all of the advice. You may have literally just saved my "butt". So far the pellet tube is working awesome, throwing a LOT of smoke. Only negative I have so far is that I've been smoking about 2 hours now and the pellets are all gone. Could be because I'm using straight apple wood pellets? Maybe I'll have to get some hickory to throw in there as well next time.

Thanks for all of the advice. You may have literally just saved my "butt". So far the pellet tube is working awesome, throwing a LOT of smoke. Only negative I have so far is that I've been smoking about 2 hours now and the pellets are all gone. Could be because I'm using straight apple wood pellets? Maybe I'll have to get some hickory to throw in there as well next time.
Hmmm, I never used that one, but it says 4 hours at 12", and up to 6 hours when extended to 18".

Somebody else who uses that Tube will have to help you----Maybe "Dirtsailor"---I think he uses that expandable Tube.

Bear

You had them flame up and they all burned up.  No way they smoldered through that fast.  I caught mine flame up this past weekend.  I had it exposed to too much air / oxygen and it re-lit.  I was able to catch it early because I saw my temps rise on my Tappecue and I went and checked on it.

A few questions for you. What pit temp are you smoking at? Where are you placing the tube in your smoker? What type of smoker? I have all of Todd's tube smokers and I use all of them all the time. The new oval tube does burn faster than the others, but I have never had it last less than 4 hours, non-expanded. 8 expanded. Both figures during a hot smoke with pit temp below 285°. For cold smoke I have ran the expando tube for 12-14 fully expanded.I place the tube near on of my air intakes in my propane smoker, and well above the burner.

Here's a shot of the 18" tube same place in the smoker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky