Always Wear Your Cut Resistant Gloves When

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I won't even pick up a mandolin without Cut Resistant Gloves. I also wear them when handling my meat sliced blade. I was making Jeff's spicy pork jerky and cleaning up. I wore gloves while cleaning the blade and set it a side to dry. When putting back in the bag I store it in I just thought I be careful and used dish towel to grab it. While sliding in bag it cut threw bag into my finger. Ouch. It not real bad but should never of happened. Just posting to remind everyone to stick to your safety procedures period. You not saving any time! I have meat sitting until tomorrow.

I get the shivers every time I watch chefs use a mandolin with there bare hands.

IMG_20230427_093427712.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good tip. I did a number on my finger last year doing the same thing, cleaning and handling my slicer blade. Cut through my finger and fingernail like it was butter. I bought some cut resistant gloves also. Great saftey tip for sure

Corey

I didn't comment on the messed/meshed gloves because as we all know different areas call things by different names etc. I even did a google search and couldn't find anything about "messed" gloves. I figured it was "meshed" but op used it twice in the thread post. Who am I to argue. 🤣🤣

I didn't comment on the messed/meshed gloves because as we all know different areas call things by different names etc. I even did a google search and couldn't find anything about "messed" gloves. I figured it was "meshed" but op used it twice in the thread post. Who am I to argue. 🤣🤣
Guess that what I always called them. I change to Cut Resistant Gloves

Reactions: Coreymacc
LOFL yeah I just don't use them. I can barely use my Dalstrongs without cutting my fingers off lol
I swear my Dalstrong is out to kill me. I've never had a knife come from the factory so scary sharp. My wife gave my their filet/boning knife to make it easier for me to remove the fat layer from chicken skin when doing BBQ competitions.

I don't recall a problem with getting cut when using lesser knives, but I sliced myself up so badly in the first few outings with the Dalstrong that she followed up with a couple of pair of cut-resistant gloves. They're wonderful! No injuries since, even though the fat removal requires stretching out the chicken skin with one hand, and slicing in close proximity to those fingers with the knife in the other hand.

I wear latex or nitrile gloves over them when working, then peel off the over glove on my non-cutting hand when done and fill it with water. It will generally leak in half-a-dozen places, cuts I was spared by the cut-resistant gloves.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm in the -I'm careful - camp. So far so good but I'm also sure it will happen sooner or later. Just have to remind myself. They are just in the drawer afterall.

I always ask myself after the fact, why wasn't I wearing my gloves? Idiot . . . getting better though.

Just ordered my first pair of cut resistant gloves. Unfortunately, only got the idea to do so once it was too late, sitting in the ER waiting to be stitched up!

Got my first brisket to smoke Sunday, and was so damn excited to get home and get it trimmed so I could rub it and get it on the smoker by 6pm for an overnight smoke.

While trimming the fat, I didn't realize just how well the knife I was using would slice through the fat, the knife had so much momentum when it got through the fat, it bounced off my thumb bone. Immediately saw a LOT of blood.

Got to the sink, and pulled off the latex glove I had on, and immediately wrapped my hand in a dish towel and asked my son to get the brisket and trimmings into the fridge and had my wife take me to the ER.

While there, in the waiting room, ordered a pair of cut resistant gloves. It was about 4pm when I was finally put in a bed and the doc was checking me out. That's when I learned that I sliced an artery. Explains the massive amount of blood and why I looked like I was going to pass out, causing the nurse to put me in a wheel chair, lol.

I asked him to sew me up so I could get home and finish trimming the brisket. He did just that, just asked me to be more careful.

Got home, finished trimming, rubbed it down, and got my pellet smoker going. Smoked from 6pm until 10am, when I wrapped it, cause I was happy with the bark I had. Probed tender, like butter at 1pm (197 degrees), cause I bumped the heat from 180 to 275, and it was only a 12 pounder. Took it off, opened the peach paper to pour some liquid gold on it, and wrapped it back tight, wrapped in a towel, and into a pre heated cooler until 5pm when I separated the flat from the point, cubed the point, added some seasoning and bbq sauce and honey in a foil tin, and back on the smoker for another 45 minutes. Sliced the flat, and there was nothing left!

Not sure it was worth the blood shed, but I learned a VERY valuable lesson on slowing down and taking my time. In 14 days the stitches will be out and everything back to normal, but I will never be so careless with a knife going forward.

I have pics, but didn't include for those with a weak stomach!

• Wow
Reactions: JLeonard and BigW.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky