• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Always check your grease drains

JBinGB

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 24, 2020
So I had the day off last Friday and decided to smoke 2 butts and a couple racks of ribs. Things were going great.

At about the 6 hour mark I went out side and there was thick white smoke coming out of the exhaust stack. I figured I had an air flow blockage in the fire box, but when I opened it up it was clean. Opened the lid of the cook chamber and there was a decent size fire that was just getting worse. Luckily I was able to get the meat off before anything became charcoal, but the bottoms of the ribs are crunchy.

Best I can figure is the grease port got clogged or a piece of something got in there and plugged it, because the grease trap didn't have the normal amount in it.

Lesson learned. I will now be keeping a closer eye on the grease buckets, and if something doesn't look right, trying to find a way to unplug the port.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
Glad you caught it in time before something truly disastrous happened.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
WOA! Very glad this was caught early. Could have been so much worse.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Good advice. That is one of my fears when doing a large cook.

JC :emoji_cat:

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Those grease fires are scary! Been through a couple. Now I clean when things looking built up.

JBinGB

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 24, 2020
Those grease fires are scary! Been through a couple. Now I clean when things looking built up.
I've only been smoking a little over a year, and I have watched a lot of videos on techniques and tips but not a lot of people mention watching the drain.

Maybe it is common sense to most, but I never thought to regularly check if it's clogged or not. I always just let it do it's thing. I guess I will monitoring it a little closer now.

At least it wasn't a wagyu brisket caught in the fire....

radioguy

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 12, 2013
I keep a straighten out coat hanger in my box. During the winter things get clogged up.

RG

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.