Advice for a larger cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AmazonDon703

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
TEXAS
Ok folks, so tomorrow I'm smoking 6 racks of spare ribs on my offset Pecos smoker. I'm probably going to use a rib rack so they can all fit on there simultaneously. First time smoking that many racks of ribs at once, just wondering if anybody had any advice.

Only difference from One Rack is the recovery time will be a little long from adding all the cold meat. In your case, an Offset, you may not even notice a difference. Follow your usual Award Winning Rib procedure and blow them away...JJ

Reactions: AmazonDon703
The ribs will take longer to cook if you stack them close in a rib rack. Best to spread them out if you can...if you can't, then you need to rotate the ribs in the rack 3~4 times during the cook so the outside rack is not fall apart tender while the inside racks are not done.

...or you can roll them in a circle and use a kabob skewer to hold the two ends together. This will give you access to the rib meat for spritzing or basting that you lose when using a rib-rack. That is if you spritz or baste.

Chris

Amazon,
Will 6 racks not all fit??? Thought was a pretty good sized smoker? No matter I would say move them around if you have to use rib rack.
I do mine at 250-275 for 5.5 hrs. Dry rub only and when they are done they will slightly bend and the skin will crack a bit on the top. Take them out at that point. Otherwise they will get overdone.

Wow, I smoked 8 Racks or St Louis Ribs in 2 Racks, in my MES for a neighbors July 4th Picnic. I had none of the issues described above although I did Foil them and they went back in the Racks...JJ

Several minutes to a couple of days. Rubs containing Salt create a Dry Brine. The salt initially Draws moisture out of the meat, combines with salt and goes back in, flavoring and tenderizing the Ribs. Water soluble flavors in the other Rub ingredients penetrate a bit too. This don't happen in twenty minutes. You need to give the ribs time for the process to happen. Overnight is good but if you are organized you can Rub and rest them 2-3 days before smoking...JJ

Several minutes to a couple of days. Rubs containing Salt create a Dry Brine. The salt initially Draws moisture out of the meat, combines with salt and goes back in, flavoring and tenderizing the Ribs. Water soluble flavors in the other Rub ingredients penetrate a bit too. This don't happen in twenty minutes. You need to give the ribs time for the process to happen. Overnight is good but if you are organized you can Rub and rest them 2-3 days before smoking...JJ

Does it do anything negative to the texture of the meat? I'm thinking if doing an overnight dry rub.

Not usually. There typically is not that much salt in a Rub. Some Brines and Cure recipes contain far more Salt and they dont effect the meat texture over 14 days of curing...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky