A Twist on Pretzels!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
This winter has put me in a twist, so my wife and I decided to make some pretzels.

Pretzel Dough:
  • 1 1/2 Cups warm water (110˚- 115˚ F)
  • 4 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
  • 1 T White sugar
  • 2 oz. Unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 t Kosher salt
  • 1 Package active dry yeast
  • 1 Large egg white
Water Bath:
  • 10 C Water
  • 2/3 C Baking Soda
Toppings:
  • Pretzel salt (Kosher salt works well also)
  • Everything bagel seasoning blend
Directions:
  1. Combine the water, sugar, and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top.
  2. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam.
  3. Add the flour and butter. Using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined.
  4. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the bowl, approx. 4 to 5 minutes.
IMG_0740.jpg

5. Place the dough ball into a sightly oiled bowl.
6. Cover the bowl with a towel and place it a warm place for 50 to 60 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.

IMG_0743.jpg

7. Preheat the oven to 450˚ . Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and set aside.
8. To prepare the water bath, bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.
9. Turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled surface and divide into 8 equal pieces.
10. Roll out each dough piece into a 24 inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, cross the ends over each other to form a pretzel shape.

IMG_0764.jpg

11. Place the pretzels into the boiling water, one by one, and bathe them with the water mixure for 30 seconds.

IMG_0767.jpg

12. Remove the pretzels from the boiling water with a large spatula and place them on to the half sheet pan.
13. Brush each pretzel with the egg wash and sprinkle with the pretzel salt or everything bagel seasoning blend.
14. Bake until golden brown in color, approximately 14 minutes.
15. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.

IMG_0315.jpg

Thanks for viewing our twist on winter--and enjoy!

John

Those look delicious! It's been a couple years since we made those! Did some like you did, some left straight with twists in them, and some as bite sized pieces (these disappear fast!) Cuz you're not eating a whole pretzel, just small pieces ... like 30 of them! My wife is gonna kill me, she's watching her carb intake and the other day we made deep dish pizza, now these! Lol

Awesome job!
Ryan

Are these a soft pretzel or a hard pretzel?

Looks good either way, just in the mood for a soft pretzel.

Man, do those look good John! I haven't one of those for a long time...the wife just asked me what all we were going to make for the Super Bowl...I now have an idea for something different. Big Like!!!

Those look delicious. I’ll definitely be using this recipe this weekend with the kids being here.

Are these a soft pretzel or a hard pretzel?

They are soft pretzles

Looks good either way, just in the mood for a soft pretzel.
Man, do those look good John! I haven't one of those for a long time...the wife just asked me what all we were going to make for the Super Bowl...I now have an idea for something different. Big Like!!!

A perfect snack for the Super Bowl. . .Nice choice!

John

Look like a great batch of Pretzels. Ill have,to give them a try...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky