A Local's View of Tahiti - Continued Part II

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

justpassingthru

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 7, 2009
Pamatai, Tahiti
The poi wrapped in banana leaves is poured into coconut milk and then cut up with two knives.

55c79e0f_MooreaFamilyReunion098.jpg

fda28708_MooreaFamilyReunion099.jpg

8f44351f_MooreaFamilyReunion097.jpg

Breadfruit.

d2d62443_MooreaFamilyReunion100.jpg

Breadfruit poi, this was the first time I have seen this. (Gary, see the gallon ice cream container) LOL

9288174d_MooreaFamilyReunion102.jpg

Cutting up the pig.

9d113677_MooreaFamilyReunion109.jpg

See the Mt Rotui tee shirt.

031fbbee_MooreaFamilyReunion110.jpg

132e54c0_MooreaFamilyReunion112.jpg

Kiley had some poi too.

663f76ac_MooreaFamilyReunion114.jpg

The cousin's fruit garden.

Papaya.

ba9fa99b_MooreaFamilyReunion106.jpg

Bananas and manioc.

e132ee08_MooreaFamilyReunion107.jpg

8bb9f7dc_MooreaFamilyReunion108.jpg

Time to take the food to the reunion, about 10 miles away.

This is our host, Aad Van Der Heyde, Dutch impressionist painter, he married Mrs JPT’s aunt.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...1t:429,r:2,s:164&tx=46&ty=29&biw=1024&bih=518

I’ll use the links to introduce him, the picture, “Mother and Baby Jesus” is worth $1.5 million, it is made with diamonds, emeralds, rubies and many other precious stones, all the stones are set in gold, white gold and silver.

This link shows his gallery where he displays his paintings outside; two of them have been used on Polynesian postage stamps, incidentally we petted the cat while we were there.

http://anik-karadjian.over-blog.com/article-galerie-vander-heyde-65561874.html

This is Aad’s beachfront, just across the street from his gallery; the food is on the table.

ebc7bdfd_MooreaFamilyReunion115.jpg

Our plates, starting with the plate on the right going clockwise, banana, manioc, umara, passion cru (raw fish cooked with lime juice, cucumber, tomato, onions, bell peppers in coconut milk, taro, and poi. Left hand going clockwise, poi, passion cru and pork, ...they guests thought I was a little strange taking Q-view pics.

0a82e79d_MooreaFamilyReunion116.jpg

756b6044_MooreaFamilyReunion117.jpg

f310b493_MooreaFamilyReunion118.jpg

Cook’s bay, named after Captain James Cook who anchored in this bay when he first discovered Polynesia, ...Aad owns the upper half of the small mountain in front, his wife has their fruit plantation there.

562785b9_MooreaFamilyReunion119.jpg

The Kavaka Hotel, next door to Aad’s place, I worked there as a maintenance man in ’93, ...little did I know then, while talking to Aad and his wife I would marry their niece two years later.

8b75aa84_MooreaFamilyReunion120.jpg

The sun is setting, the tent has been taken down, the table and chairs are put away, it's time to go to the ferry and return to Tahiti.

92cc3f73_MooreaFamilyReunion124.jpg

5914aed3_MooreaFamilyReunion125.jpg

44771a40_MooreaFamilyReunion126.jpg

I hope you enjoyed a local’s look at Tahiti.

Gene

Unbelievable!!!

I could look at pictures like these all day long. Gotta show Mrs Bear TOO !

Thanks Gene,

Bear

Wow Gene those are some great pics. I bet the folks did look at you funny taking their pics. I will try to answer your email today. Thanks for a great tour

By the way --- if anyone has a rub or anything dry they want to have Gene try, I am working on another package to ship over to him so send me a PM fairly soon so we can work out the details. I have sent him some of Pauls rub and some sausage casings
no_no.gif
 he cant get over ther very easily so let me know if you want to join in the fun.  

Last edited:
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing, I could look at pictures of paradise all day long as well. I can't help but think of "Mutiny on the Bounty" when I hear or see breadfruit, LOL, one of my favorite movies, any version old or new.

Thanks for sharing gene........ It all looks beautiful and delicious.........
icon14.gif

Thank you for sharing this with us. What an amazing meal and the pictures make me feel like I am there. I really want to try passion cru, it's like a ceviche with so many other ingredients I love. What kind of fish is in it and do you have a recipe you could share? Thank you for this great experience!

Chers amis,

I'm happy you enjoyed the tour, one of the cousins visited us this week, they will do another "tama'a" (ta-ma'-a, a get together to cook in the hima'a and eat) in July, ...you know this "marite" (American) is not going to miss the opportunity to add some meat to the hima'a, Tania and I have already discussed what we want to contribute, a sirloin roast, chuck, chickens and hopefully I can order some butt, so stay tuned, I'll have pics starting from building the fire to Q-view, also a better camera, my boss gave me a camera a tourist left on the counter of their store and hasn't reclaimed it for over a year, the problem is it's much smarter than I am, I found a 150 page users manual on the net, so I'll be spending some time reading.

Gary, thanks for your generosity and kindness.

Shooter, I fell in love with the tropics watching Swiss Family Robinson as a kid, if you have Gibson's Bounty, when they first arrive at Tahiti slow it down when Mel is standing on the jib, the camera will swing under it and you can see my apartment where I lived when I first came here, the movie was shot in Cooks bay and in the valley we went through. 

Cochon, we laff every time we see your avatar and I think you live in a pretty spectacular place too.

Twig, I'll post a step by step thread for you tonight.

Thank you all for the kind words and sentiments about our tiny corner of the world.

Gene

Awesome pics thanks for taking the time and effort to share them with us

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky