A Few More Quick, Fun, Tasty Griddle Dinners (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Thanks to everybody who showed their support and encouragement for the last one of these posts I did. I was blown away by the responses from everybody and the number of people who asked that the posts keep coming. As promised, when the last one had run the gamut, I'd post some more, so here ya go. All I can say is be careful what you wish for, you might just get it :emoji_wink: All three of these are beef of some sort so I put in the "Beef" forum for obvious reasons. Let's start with one that was done on Saturday after a day on the lake. We're typically wiped out from being out in the sun all day so I tend to stick with quick and easy meals. This is NY Strip steaks, rigatoni smothered in a homemade beef sauce, and a salad.

Steaks
011.jpg

Salad
010.jpg

Season the steaks with my beef rub
012.jpg

Made up a batch of avocado ranch dressing that I came up with a couple weeks ago. This stuff is the bomb!!
013.jpg

Flour and butter to start the roux for the gravy
014.jpg

Add beef broth, beef bouillon, black pepper, and garlic powder
015.jpg

Gravy done
016.jpg

Toss the rigatoni with it
018.jpg

Get the steaks going
023.jpg

Put a couple of re purposed hoagie rolls on to brown and some garlic butter in the small CI dish
024.jpg

Steaks sliced. Tracy's on the left, mine on the right
026.jpg

Plated with the rigatoni, salad & avocado ranch dressing, and rolls brushed with the garlic butter
027.jpg

This was REALLY good and total time was less than an hour from start to sitting down to eat. I'll take that!! As good as everything was, the gravy was the star of this meal. So simple to make yet so amazingly good!!

Now we're gonna go a bit out of bounds and make chicken fried steak on the griddle. Once again we are starting out with the NY Strip steaks, which I seem to have a bunch of in the freezer somehow. I think I double ordered not too long ago, but that's not a bad problem to have I guess. I'm also doing homemade mashed potatoes & gravy and another salad

Get the taters on to boil
009.jpg

Cucumbers, onions, jalapenos, garlic EVOO, and spicy pepper vinegar
010.jpg

Make the roux same as last time but for this one it's milk, a splash of heavy cream, beef bouillon, a bit of salt, and black pepper
013.jpg

Pound out the steaks and hit them with the jaccard
014.jpg

Gravy done
015.jpg

From left to right and in order of application: AP flour, egg wash, heavily seasoned AP flour
016.jpg

Taters all done. Kinda ugly but they sure were good!!
018.jpg

Steaks dredged
019.jpg

Got them on the griddle
020.jpg

Dinner plated. This is pure down home country cooking!!
024.jpg

CFS is one of my favorite things in the world. Tracy, not so much. She did however love this one!! The char flavor you get from the griddle just cannot be gotten by cooking the steaks in oil. You get a much more even cook and color from oil so there is a definite visual advantage but I'll take the flavor any day. This gravy was so good Tracy made sure we saved it for something else. One of the best tasting gravies I've ever had. Overall an excellent dinner and this one took abut an hour. Please bear in mind though that the taters and gravy were homemade. You could use store bought if you're in a real hurry, still have a great meal, and probably pull t off in 30 minutes.

Now we go to one of the most insane burgers I've ever seen, made, or eaten. This was out of bounds!! Tracy wanted just a plain old cheese burger, which she just loves. No qualms there but I wanted something other than a same ol' same ol' burger. A few minutes in the pool and a couple margaritas, this is what I came up with...and it was fantastic!!

Got the half pound burgers on the flat top
005.jpg

Toasted half of a bun and put it in a CI skillet
004.jpg

Put the burger on the bun
006.jpg

Remember me saying the gravy from the CFS was saved? Well, guess what's next....
007.jpg

Add a huge amount of extra sharp cheddar and some green onions
009.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, I think I just died and went to burger heaven
013.jpg

Plated with some chips (to dip the gravy onto of course) and a shot of what I consider to be a perfectly cooked burger
023.jpg

The aftermath
026.jpg

This one was a ton of fun because I got to use the griddle AND a CI skillet. I just put the skillet back on the griddle after getting everything put together, put a pan over top to melt the cheese, and did it all on the flat top. I don't guess I need to tell you how good this was. It was pretty much the most amazing thing I think I've done with this griddle. All that gravy and melted cheese was just beyond words, especially coupled with top-shelf burgers.

Oh well, this one is a wrap. I still have more folders of griddle meals so we'll once again see what sort of a response this gets and determine if I should keep posting them. Hope everybody enjoys these and y'all stay safe out there!!

Robert

Last edited:
Lol...Robert the mad scientist. I'll take a plate of that chicken fried steak. Everything looks delicious

can't believe how great everything looks Robert, keep'em coming. I getting fatter just looking at your post.

Lol...Robert the mad scientist. I'll take a plate of that chicken fried steak. Everything looks delicious

Thank you Jake. I appreciate it buddy. The CFS was certainly good!!

I just noticed something. The whole time I was putting this post together it never dawned on me that there's gravy in every one of these meals. No question I'm a self proclaimed gravy junkie but I never knew I'd gone this far off the deep end. Not long ago Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ) said that gravy was a food group in and of itself. I guess he was 100% correct :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: Brokenhandle
All of that looks amazing buddy. I really need to try out the CFS on the flat top. And that is one of the best looking burgers I have ever seen! Like Jake said the mad gravy griddle scientist at work. Keep em coming!

Looking good as always! The country fried steak had my mouth watering! And then that open faced burger!!! Holy $%/+ man! Very nice indeed!

As someone who often posts multiple cooks in one thread, I love to see others doing it! haha.

All of this food looks incredible, my takeaway is I need to make some gravy! I'm not sure which one looks the best, I'd love to try all three meals and decide from there :emoji_laughing:

Gravy is also a blood type. My blood type is gravy!

Everything looks amazing as usual. The CFS and that burger really jump out at me. I'll have to pick up one of those mini CI's for making pan sauces on the griddle. This way it's contained and I'm not having to have a pan on the stove while I'm out at the griddle.

Like! and keep them coming!

• Haha
Reactions: Sowsage
That's awesome Robert! Like the others...that CFS looks amazing and could really go for one of them. But man, that gravy burger looks out of this world! Fantastic! Definitely keep them coming

Ryan

WOW Robert! My cholesterol levels are going up with each picture. LOL. Everything looks amazing.
But that Burger! OMG! Just when you think there's no other ways left to do Burgers, you reinvented it. Nicely done as usual. Keep 'em coming.

Mike

can't believe how great everything looks Robert, keep'em coming. I getting fatter just looking at your post.

Thanks so much Jim. As long as I don't have to do combat with your cardiologist, I'm fine with things :emoji_laughing:

All I can say is WOW! Those meal look fantastic.

Very much appreciate it. It's kinds fun making quick, easy meals that look decent and happen to taste good also.

Robert

All three looks fantastic Robert!

Nice job...

Keep'em comin'

BIG LIKE!

Appreciate it John. I wasn't disappointed with any of these and I'll keep posting them as you asked. Just need to wait a few days for the smoke to clear from this one before posting any more.

All of that looks amazing buddy. I really need to try out the CFS on the flat top. And that is one of the best looking burgers I have ever seen! Like Jake said the mad gravy griddle scientist at work. Keep em coming!

Hee hee hee...that's something I've never been called before. Gotta tell you though, when I pulled the cover off that burger, it took my breath away. It way exceeded every expectation I had when thinking through it.

Robert

Dang Robert! That burger looks amazing! All of it looks delicious!
Looking good as always! The country fried steak had my mouth watering! And then that open faced burger!!! Holy $%/+ man! Very nice indeed!

Thanks so much guys. I agree that the burger looks super good but I kinda thought the steak and rigatoni was a more "elevated" looking meal. Truth be told though, if somebody else was cooking and put those three meals in front of me to choose from, it'd be a tough choice between the CFS and the burger.

Robert

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
All of this food looks incredible, my takeaway is I need to make some gravy! I'm not sure which one looks the best, I'd love to try all three meals and decide from there :emoji_laughing:

Appreciate the kind words. I really started getting into making gravy about a year and a half ago. It's surprisingly easy to make almost any flavor. I've done numerous beef based gravies, Italian themed, Cajun, etc...The only difference between these two was one used milk and the other used beef broth. Seasonings were pretty much the same, just more of a beef flavor in the one for the rigatoni and more of a traditional white gravy for the CFS.

Robert

Gravy is also a blood type. My blood type is gravy!

Thank you Joe. I guess you and Ryan need to get together and write a 26 volume set of encyclopedias explaining all the merits and nuances of gravy :emoji_wink:

Robert

That's awesome Robert! Like the others...that CFS looks amazing and could really go for one of them. But man, that gravy burger looks out of this world! Fantastic! Definitely keep them coming

Wow Ryan, that's pretty high praise coming from a gravy junkie such as yourself sir. I'll keep cooking, taking pics, and posting till I'm told to go away or they just kick me out.

Robert

WOW Robert! My cholesterol levels are going up with each picture. LOL. Everything looks amazing.
But that Burger! OMG! Just when you think there's no other ways left to do Burgers, you reinvented it.

Thanks Mike but this isn't fair. I'm getting blamed for your cholesterol and Jim's waistline and all I did was post a few pics :emoji_laughing: Truly appreciate the accolades though. I'm known once in a while to take a staple and totally turn it around into something bizarre and off the wall.

Robert

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky