A Crowning Achievement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

troutman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Houston, Texas
Was going to do a pork crown roast over the Easter holidays, it's just such a fancy, elegant presentation of what are essentially pork chops. Bought two 8 bone center cut pork roasts to build my crown, but never got to it. Those roasts have been staring at me since then so I pulled one of them to do a small roast just for Sunday dinner. Buying the untrimmed roasts meant some trimming but crown roasts are going anywhere from $6-8/lb trimmed up, while I picked these babies up for closer to $2/lb.

So first step was to french out the bone tips. That's done by cutting off the top one inch of meat cover then carefully cutting out the meat in between the bones to give that nice exposed appearance. There was also some flap meat and the usual fat and silver skin on the meat side of the roast that had to be trimmed. All that went into a baggie for sausage or whatever. Finally cut out the chine bone ends and scored the ribs. Scoring does two things; allows the roast to be turned onto itself and also exposes more of the inner chop to seasoning and smoke.

crown 01.jpg

Once trimmed and scored I stood it on end and folded it back on itself for tying......

crown 02.jpg

Notice that I opted to leave the silver skin cover on the bones. I was concerned the bones might pop out of the meat otherwise. It was easily removed and discarded after cooking.......

Here's that crowning achievement. Still just a bunch of chops but with a little wow factor......

crown 03.jpg

Gave it a good overnight salt brining and applied my candied pig rub just before smoking. Opted to use my WSM 18 with the Fireboard controller and Pit Viper fan. Smoked her at 225* with some applewood chunks.....

crown 05.jpg

Total smoke time was right at 4 hours to an internal temp of 140*. At the 130* IT point, I pulled it and applied a glaze using some pineapple habanero sauce for a sticky, sweet heat finish.......

crown 06.jpg

Served with some basmati rice and some sous vide corn, we were eaten good in the neighborhood !!!!!

crown 07.jpg

WOW YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY WITH THIS ONE !!! TROUTMAN STEVE IS OUT !!

I've been cooking a long time and make some good stuff but you make me look like an amateur. LIKE. Incredibly elegant presentation and for $2/lb, unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jiffylush
Was going to do a pork crown roast over the Easter holidays, it's just such a fancy, elegant presentation of what are essentially pork chops. Bought two 8 bone center cut pork roasts to build my crown, but never got to it. Those roasts have been staring at me since then so I pulled one of them to do a small roast just for Sunday dinner. Buying the untrimmed roasts meant some trimming but crown roasts are going anywhere from $6-8/lb trimmed up, while I picked these babies up for closer to $2/lb.

So first step was to french out the bone tips. That's done by cutting off the top one inch of meat cover then carefully cutting out the meat in between the bones to give that nice exposed appearance. There was also some flap meat and the usual fat and silver skin on the meat side of the roast that had to be trimmed. All that went into a baggie for sausage or whatever. Finally cut out the chine bone ends and scored the ribs. Scoring does two things; allows the roast to be turned onto itself and also exposes more of the inner chop to seasoning and smoke.

View attachment 366521

Once trimmed and scored I stood it on end and folded it back on itself for tying......

View attachment 366522

Notice that I opted to leave the silver skin cover on the bones. I was concerned the bones might pop out of the meat otherwise. It was easily removed and discarded after cooking.......

Here's that crowning achievement. Still just a bunch of chops but with a little wow factor......

View attachment 366523
Gave it a good overnight salt brining and applied my candied pig rub just before smoking. Opted to use my WSM 18 with the Fireboard controller and Pit Viper fan. Smoked her at 225* with some applewood chunks.....

View attachment 366524

Total smoke time was right at 4 hours to an internal temp of 140*. At the 130* IT point, I pulled it and applied a glaze using some pineapple habanero sauce for a sticky, sweet heat finish.......

View attachment 366525

Served with some basmati rice and some sous vide corn, we were eaten good in the neighborhood !!!!!

View attachment 366526

WOW YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY WITH THIS ONE !!! TROUTMAN STEVE IS OUT !!
Omg!! I love this!!
A roast fit for a king or queen :D

Dude, that looks fantastic. I love all of the flavors that you added to it in layers. I can only imagine how good this must have been. Thanks for sharing.

George

Dude that looks amazing. Is the pineapple and habanero sauce home made or purchased. Would you mind sharing.

Dude that looks amazing. Is the pineapple and habanero sauce home made or purchased. Would you mind sharing.

No, actually I'm not that smart !!! :p It was a jar sauce. I see them in the grocery store and buy them for my pantry. I love the combinations they have on the market, goes good with pork !! It's sold at Costco as well, I think it's Robert Rothschild Farms brand.

No, actually I'm not that smart !!! :p It was a jar sauce. I see them in the grocery store and buy them for my pantry. I love the combinations they have on the market, goes good with pork !! It's sold at Costco as well, I think it's Robert Rothschild Farms brand.
Haha, I’m not either. That’s why I’m always lookin.

Thanks everyone for the props. I love cooking good food and a variety of meats. I share in the hopes others will explore with me! Thanks again !!

Well Troutman Steve... You certainly outdid yourself this time! I think your best yet, but I have a feeling we aint seen nuthin yet!

Outstanding Crown!!
Truly a Thing of Beauty!!
Nice Job & Great Step by Step!!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky