Full Packer Duroc Loin Score

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Was at the grocery today and found this Packer Duroc loin. 11 ribs plus the lower part. Was $5.99 a pound , marked down to $3.51 lb. The sell by date is close but I’m ok with that.

IMG_1933.jpeg

Cut some rib width chops, 10 of them, and had the bottom end at 4# so more bacon, was a fine deal.

IMG_1934.jpeg

Very nice, can't wait to see what you do with those.
The 4# lower piece is now comfortably resting in cure for Canadian bacon. I added a couple different extra ingredients to my normal process, I added phosphate, and ground sage. I figured why not. The only way to know is to do. Should be great for breakfast.

IMG_1935.jpeg

So you buy cut, package and freeze before the date.....How long will they last in the freezer? Reason I ask is because I hit the reduced bin at my store and score some pretty good buys. I will repackage in vac seals if not already packaged like that.

Jim

Reactions: SmokinEdge
So you buy cut, package and freeze before the date.....How long will they last in the freezer? Reason I ask is because I hit the reduced bin at my store and score some pretty good buys. I will repackage in vac seals if not already packaged like that.

Jim
Re packaged in vac seal you have same as any other store bought meat. In this case the loin was already vac sealed so I could have just thrown it in the fridge as is and wet aged it. Pork gets a little funky aged, but it’s a personal preference. “Cheese” you either like it or not.

As to my re packaged pieces, 6 months easy in the freezer. But they likely will never make it that long, and if I lose one and don’t find it for a year, it will eat very well. Vac sealing is magic with meat and longevity.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky