A bit of this & that

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SunnyDC

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Washington, DC
I've been doing a bit of puttering this past week. Made a few purchases to add to my collection of goodies for my newfound meat habit (Foodsaver, meat grinder, casings, etc.) and got a few things "brewing" as well.

But first... I finally got to try the spicy rub from Pitfaced BBQ @bvbull200 sent me. I did a bunch of chicken thighs + a half chicken from a big, beautiful bird I got on sale. Brined them overnight, then rubbed 'em down really well yesterday morning, and we smoked them last night. I only have a "before" picture because... well... we scarfed it.

chicken-01.jpg

I'll tell you, I'm not a fan of pre-mixed rubs, and I NEVER buy them... but this was seriously excellent. The only thing I added was a few shakes of some really hot Peruvian pepper powder we really like, because we like things really, really spicy. But the flavor profile was terrific. Thanks again for that, @bvbull200 !!

I also cleaned up at Costco last weekend, and split a great big brisket in half, choosing to try my hand at "corning" beef for St. Patrick's Day dinner tomorrow. Just gonna do it the old fashioned way this time; the other half I'm planning to turn into pastrami!

corned-beef.jpg

I also started my first-ever batch of bacon... can't wait for this!

pork-belly-01.jpg

I also made a boatload of Mexican style chorizo, and we just put it in casings earlier this afternoon, using the stuffing tube on my new grinder. That was fun!

stuffing.jpg

I'm going to smoke some of it, but I'll freeze most. It turned out pretty well, nice and spicy and tangy, and we like all manner of Latin American foods, so it'll go pretty fast.

chorizo.jpg

Lastly, for tonight, I ground some chuck, mixed in some of the chorizo and seasonings, topped it with some leftover Hatch chiles & cheese, then rolled it up into a fatty-like meat log and stuck it on the smoker. That will be tonight's dinner, if the stars align. :)

roll.jpg

Will let you know how everything turns out. Thanks for looking!

PS: I'll have an update on the wrecked smoker tomorrow... :)

EDIT: Finished!

done.jpg

sliced.jpg

Overall, this was pretty cool. I followed a number of suggestions and took this to 150° before pulling it, but it was a bit on the well done side for me... though J plowed through his without complaint. I'll fiddle with the meat mixture next time. This time I sort of just wanted to enjoy the freshly ground beef and just-made chorizo.

plated.jpg

A little jalapeno verde sauce, some crema, and a handful more cotija cheese helped things out where the meat was a trifle on the dry side, and the chilies and cheese inside were awesome. Made some refried black beans with a bit of pork belly and a lot of chilies, and added some tomatoed rice. Nice Saturday night dinner.

Half of the chorizo links are now out smoking... looking forward to those!

EDIT #2: The smoked version totally blew me away. I wonder if there is anything that can't be improved by smoking?

smoked.jpg
chicken-01.jpg
pork-belly-01.jpg
chicken-01.jpg
corned-beef.jpg
pork-belly-01.jpg
stuffing.jpg
chorizo.jpg
roll.jpg
done.jpg
sliced.jpg
plated.jpg

Sunny

Last edited:
SDC, Looks like you have been busy with the new toys!. Sounds like and looks like some tasty goodies are in store for you !

It all looks great! It is fun playing with new equipment too. Just an FYI, if you did not use cure #1 in your chorizo sausage, be sure to hot smoke it @ 200+*F for less than 4 hours. Thanks for posting!

Great, now you gave all those bureaucrats another reason not to do their jobs. They'll all be over at your place chowing down. :emoji_blush:

It looks like your having fun and putting out some good food. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

It all looks great! It is fun playing with new equipment too. Just an FYI, if you did not use cure #1 in your chorizo sausage, be sure to hot smoke it @ 200+*F for less than 4 hours. Thanks for posting!

I knew I was going to smoke at least half of these, so I did go ahead and use the cure in the sausage, though I smoked them at 200°F as it turned out... that's just where the grill settled in, so I went with it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky