In 67 years I have never seen a year like this where I live.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
By this time of the year we would have 3-6 feet of snow by now. Last year my son was out riding our snow machine all over the place. The weather has been just crazy. Call it gobal warming or what ever term you like but in 67 years I have never seen a winter like this. I have seen no snow till Christmas but it was also 30-40 below. This year most days I can walk out side with just a hoody on and be warm. Not great for spring run off if we don't get some snow as we country people have wells that need the water.
The last two days have been below freezing but not by much. Here is a picture of the water falls in my back yard. (not really, 1800 feet away and wish I owned it LOL)
DJI_0155-HDR.png

I do not see how anyone could deny that the climate is changing, and not for the better.

I am 65 and I can vividly remember blizzards back east (NYC/State) when I was a kid - and I miss them. Soon, Canada will be "the bread belt" and the plains in America will be a dessert.

I have known since I was very young that I was a part of the last generation to have known the world (climate/social/political/moral) when it was at its best.

Been quite nice here as well! Think 40 degrees here today, almost 50 by Christmas... I'm fine with no snow... I'm sure our time is coming.

Ryan

Reactions: PPG1 and bigfurmn
Just wait...It'll catch up and you'll be roof deep in snow.
Although the falls are pretty dang nice to look at.
Jim
Yes they are. I have many, many videos and pictures of those falls as I live so close to them. It's a Provincial Park which means I cannot take off or land in the park. Being only 1800-2000 feet from my deck I can fly my drone over them which is legal. Spring break up when the ice falls into the river is really something to see. I think I have posted a slow motion video of the falls in mid winter that shows just how pretty it really is.

El Nino is giving us a mild winter.

Like we had in 1998, when we did not get our first freeze until mid December when it usually we have one before first week in November.

We use to just call these mild winters, now it means we have to give up meat, drive an EV.
Beat me to it.

Reactions: JLeonard
Yes they are. I have many, many videos and pictures of those falls as I live so close to them. It's a Provincial Park which means I cannot take off or land in the park. Being only 1800-2000 feet from my deck I can fly my drone over them which is legal. Spring break up when the ice falls into the river is really something to see. I think I have posted a slow motion video of the falls in mid winter that shows just how pretty it really is.
Yeah I love watching your videos of the falls and river. It is absolutely gorgeous. If I lived up there I'd be a fixture at a over look...."yeah thats just Jim. He's a little eccentric but hes a nice guy. Just dont get in the way of his view."

Jim

Beat me to it.
I am no expert on weather or El Nino. All I know we have had them in the past but have never affected us this far North. I have friends in Alaska that have winter camps and cannot get there as the rivers they travel are still open water. My weather here is comparable to what they get. I'm not far from the lowest temp ever recorded in Ontario so this warm spell is new to me. Not complaining about the warm, only the amount of moisture my well and forest will need next spring. Forest fires will be blazing next year if we don't get some rain in the spring. Scary sh!it when the forest is burning down and wiping out towns in a matter of minutes

DISCLAIMER: - NOT DENYING CLIMATE CHANGE

When I was a kid in school we were taught that the planet was coming out of a mini ice age, scientifically knows as the LIA. We were also taught that by the year 2000 most of the current coastline (1980's coastline) would be moved inland by several hundred meters and that much of (1980's) NYC, LA, Tokyo, Florida etc.... would be uninhabitable, much like it would have been during the last hot cycle. That last hot cycle is called the MWP (medieval warm period)

Is it happening, sure. Very slowly. Too bad we don't really have any pre industrial revolution satellite pics to compare to current day ones. Glaciers are melting, but we ignore what they looked like as recently as 1000 years ago and focus on what they looked like 20 years ago. They were MUCH smaller 1000 years ago.

Check this out. It's an interesting read. It's not the only proof on the planet that the MWP and LIA point towards this current cycle being as much influenced by Nature as it is by Man.

Fun fact, the sun gets brighter every day. Which means more heat. We could end all human life on earth tomorrow and in a few thousand years the glaciers would still be smaller. Unless the Earth follows it's natural pattern of "send in another ice age".

I am no expert on weather or El Nino. All I know we have had them in the past but have never affected us this far North. I have friends in Alaska that have winter camps and cannot get there as the rivers they travel are still open water. My weather here is comparable to what they get. I'm not far from the lowest temp ever recorded in Ontario so this warm spell is new to me. Not complaining about the warm, only the amount of moisture my well and forest will need next spring. Forest fires will be blazing next year if we don't get some rain in the spring. Scary sh!it when the forest is burning down and wiping out towns in a matter of minutes
Are you anywhere near Vermillion Bay?

Reactions: JLeonard
By this time of the year we would have 3-6 feet of snow by now. Last year my son was out riding our snow machine all over the place. The weather has been just crazy. Call it gobal warming or what ever term you like but in 67 years I have never seen a winter like this. I have seen no snow till Christmas but it was also 30-40 below. This year most days I can walk out side with just a hoody on and be warm. Not great for spring run off if we don't get some snow as we country people have wells that need the water.
The last two days have been below freezing but not by much. Here is a picture of the water falls in my back yard. (not really, 1800 feet away and wish I owned it LOL)
View attachment 683794
Nice! Where is this? I know you told us before.

Beautiful, keep the drone vids coming. El Nino is a blessing this year so far. The moisture issue is of great concern though.
With all the smoke we ate down here this year, glad your still standing anyhow up north. Heavy spring rains would sure be a blessing for all ( I think ).

Reactions: KBFlyer
I am just east of it. On the most western shores of Lake Superior. About View attachment 683795

View attachment 683796
Absolutely beautiful in the summer up there! For about 15 years we spent at least 2 weeks camping and fishing on Little Vermillion near Sioux Lookout. In 2001 I was in between jobs and camped there from late June until September 7th. It was snowing when I packed up and left lol.
In 2005 I got married, had a kid, and that was the end of that. Sure hope to make it again one summer. I loved that place! No phone service and the only entertainment was mother nature or CBC on the radio. Was paradise for me.

It is going to get a tad colder here in the next 14 days but nothing like we have had in the past. Still no snow in the forcast that will amount to much. This will be the first Christmas I can remember with no snow on the ground. Guess Santa will need to drop the wheels down on the sled this year. LOL
screenshot-www.theweathernetwork.com-2023.12.20-09_21_33.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky