60 gallon compressor tank offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattkm

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2018
Hey Guys,
Finally getting around to showing my smoker progress so far. I got lots of help reading this forum over the build, so I figured it's only right to contribute back into it!
I made a UDS about 4 years ago now, and have been smoking on it a ton. Then, I made a mini UDS last spring, for taking camping. Now, I decided I wanted to go a little bigger, and try out an offset. Here's where I'm at:
The two tanks I started with:
u0NVoMN.jpg

Started cutting them up:
wnXelPu.jpg

On the frame:
GgN3eOb.jpg

Starting to come together, hinges on, and door cut:
fe0OK1s.jpg

Fire box door frame in:
tIpoi6T.jpg

Cooking grate shelf brackets in, wheels on, handle ready, chimney hole ready etc.:
eShvD1O.jpg

Chimney on, first try/burning it out:
aJXwNvP.jpg

And, this is where I'm at right now, shelf done, cooking grates done. Just need to finish up a few little things, like some utensil hooks, and a bunch of grinding. I'm going to try cooking at least a couple of times before a friend is going to sandblast it for me, and I'll paint it. Just in case there's some changes needed:
lsn1gRS.jpg

L5A9hYM.jpg

It's been a lot of fun so far, and I can't wait to get some cooking done with it. I made a basket to use charcoal in it, but, I also want to use wood too.

Here's a couple of the firebox, fb door and the charcoal basket. The intake is 2.5 x 4.5. And the door latch has 2 notches, one holds it shut, and 1 hold a it open a crack.
hJoWBqJ.jpg

C9zcun6.jpg

Looks like a fun build. I keep trying to look at different ideas and even was running the pit building calculator this weekend again. What is the approx size of the red compressor tank and I am curious on the metal thickness as well?

dcecil dcecil some more pics are coming for you!
crazymoon crazymoon and Brent b thanks! Q view will come in the future.
And luvcatchingbass luvcatchingbass the compressor tank is approximately 23 inch diameter, and 45 inches long. The thickness is about 3/16. I got both tanks for free, so it was a case of working with what I had. I discovered the calculator after starting this project, and already had the fire box cut.

Here's a couple of the firebox, fb door and the charcoal basket. The intake is 2.5 x 4.5. And the door latch has 2 notches, one holds it shut, and 1 hold a it open a crack.
hJoWBqJ.jpg

C9zcun6.jpg
This really looks awesome, I think you did a great job.

Thank you!
It has been a lot of fun so far.

Finally did my first cook on the new offset, after a couple practice runs with no food.
Did some sausage stuffed mushrooms, a chicken, and a beef tenderloin. Figured I'd stick with some short cooks first till I get the hang of running it!
zM4eqCe.jpg

L0Mbgaa.jpg

And, forgot to get a pic of this before taking it off and wrapping it:
wFDIO6u.jpg

I don't get myself into too many pictures:
7t2pQav.jpg

Thanks Warren! And all the others who have commented!
Seasoning the smoker today for a while then will be cooking some quarter chickens.
Also drinking some home brew, beautiful, perfect day!!
vDAvyZN.jpg

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky