500 gallon fuel tank reverse flow smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gfunk418

Original poster
Jul 20, 2016
Pittsburgh pa
I got 2 500 gallon fuel tanks for free! 1/8"-1/4" steel! Had some fuel still left in them! What's the best way to make sure they are fully cleaned so it cooks clean and no fuel smell or taste left! I in the pic they are standing upright. I plan on laying them down so it's 20" tall and 46" deep!

Cut the access doors and burn them out...    First you should remove the sludge accumulation and dispose of it properly...   Cut the openings with a cut-off wheel on an angle grinder...  If you flood the tanks with water mixed with dish soap to reduce the possibility of explosion, which is a good idea, or flood with CO2 using dry ice, the water will be contaminated and the CO2 can kill you...  either way, take extreme care...  OR find someone to do it...

What is the volume of gas 1 pound of dry ice will expand to as it sublimates? .....   ~230 liters... / 3.785 = 60 gallons .... 

500 / 60 = 8.33 #'s dry ice...  I would use 10#'s for each tank...  break it up into small pieces so it evaporates FAST   ...

Flash points..
Diesel Fuel (1-D)100 F
Diesel Fuel (2-D)126 F
Diesel Fuel (4-D)
130 F         

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky