45 Day dry aged Ribeye FROZEN

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Yesterday afternoon, Judy & I decided that we were hungry for a nice steak.
I looked at our freezer list & found a 45 day dry aged ribeye.
We heated up a CI pan on the stove with some bacon grease.
Dusted the meat with S&P, and then right into the hot pan, still frozen solid!

110B968C-9D50-4EAE-8A8D-414D0A21C583.jpeg

We kept flipping it until we got a nice crust.

C1120D37-B638-4F58-AEC5-451FFB064324.jpeg

Then moved it off the heat & let it continue to cook in the hot pan.
It took about 10 minutes to reach 120 IT.
We let it rest for another 5-10 minutes.

1CDFAD05-0390-43D9-BFD3-4D6B8578AD38.jpeg

Add a little veg to the plate.

ACCBBC08-7761-4565-90EA-5AC7474A82F2.jpeg

Time to take a look at the inside!

8DEA1764-8592-435B-8F29-375EE039D830.jpeg

As you can tell we like rare steak & this one didn’t disappoint.
It had a beautiful crust on the outside & the meat was rare all the way to the edge.
I’m anxious to try this with other cuts of meat.
I’m smoking a brisket this weekend & would love to try this with it, but It’s frozen now & it needs to be trimmed.
Also since it’s Wagyu, & a gift to me. I think I better experiment on a lesser brisket.
Anyhow thanks for stopping by Folks!!
Al

I love cast iron for steaks .i have a big-ass skillet and a castiron griddle .a lot of times here in MiJami we can only get cuban cuts (pretty thin)I use the side burner on my Napoleon. a couple of flips and we got 130. rest nd eat.

Reactions: SmokinAl
That 's how I like my steak, wife wants it medium, argh. It looks absolutely delicious.

I have my smoker on wheels so I can limp along and roll it into my driveway. I have a tri tip frozen in the freezer that I am going to smoke from frozen.

i havent decided if I am going to season just the meat, season with a mustard binder or wait till it is thawed, pull it out and season.

Anyway, I think I have 4 hours to smoke it and still be safe so maybe smoke till thawed at 120* (2 hours), then go to IT 125* then reverse sear. I can't do much else physically.

That's beautiful Al. I've attempted the frozen steak twice. Somehow I nailed the first one and ruined the second. I think I've been inspired for another attempt.
Your steak looks perfect!

Great looking steak Al! This frozen to cook idea seems to be working well.
Thank you Sandy!
So far it’s working great!
Al
Damn Al that steak is perfect! Did you smoke your house out doing that inside? Lol
Ha Ha!
Luckily we have a really strong exhaust fan & it did it’s job!
Al
I'll be watching for the Wagyu Brisket, Al. :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks! I hope I don’t blow it!
Al
I love cast iron for steaks .i have a big-ass skillet and a castiron griddle .a lot of times here in MiJami we can only get cuban cuts (pretty thin)I use the side burner on my Napoleon. a couple of flips and we got 130. rest nd eat.

Thank you!
Your right, you can’t beat a cast iron steak. Except for a steak cooked over a wood fire!
Al
That 's how I like my steak, wife wants it medium, argh. It looks absolutely delicious.

I have my smoker on wheels so I can limp along and roll it into my driveway. I have a tri tip frozen in the freezer that I am going to smoke from frozen.

i havent decided if I am going to season just the meat, season with a mustard binder or wait till it is thawed, pull it out and season.

Anyway, I think I have 4 hours to smoke it and still be safe so maybe smoke till thawed at 120* (2 hours), then go to IT 125* then reverse sear. I can't do much else physically.
Thank you!
That sure sounds like a solid plan to me!
Al
That looks absolutely delicious
View attachment 628440

Thank you!!
Al
Meh not a fan of cookin frozen stuff but long as you liked it. Grats bud thanks for sharing :<)

Don’t knock it until you try it!
Al
Looks good. And just enough green on the plate so you can say you ate a veggie.

Jim

Thanks Jim!
You got that right, I had to eat my veggies!
Al

All I got to say is where is my plate.... That put a hard sear on that and nice color on the inside!

Wow! Awesome steak!!!!! I have a frozen tritip with fat cap still on, I was thinking of doing it brisket style….maybe I’ll Tri it frozen? Beautiful and enviable plate as always Al!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky