2lb chuck roast for Sunday football

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sserbel

Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
NEPA
Doing a chuck roast today on my masterforge vertical smoker any suggestions?? Rub wood type etc.

For beef I like to use a 50/50 mix of cherry and pecan. For a rub we like to keep it simple and use SPOG (salt pepper onion garlic). I'd make a batch of JJ's smokey Au Jus, goes great with Beef!

Chef Jimmy's Au Jus

1- Lg Onion,
4-5 Carrots,
3-4 Ribs Celery
3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic
Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,
THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,
2 Tbs Tomato Paste,
1/2 tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)
1-2 ea Bay leaf
Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.
While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus then quickly removed, take off the last little bit of fat.
The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.
Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy

Last edited:
Chuck roast is one of my absolute favorite cuts to smoke, but I kind of think out of the box with them.  I treat chuckies like a smoked pot roast.  Rub with your spices of choice, 4 hours in the smoke at 250F, then wrap it up in HD aluminum foil with a half cup of liquid and some acidic and aromatic veggies or fruit (fresh salsa, pico de gallo, sliced tomatoes, pineapple, garlic cloves, onions, etc).  Take it to 200F IT.  The smoked pot roast flavor is amazing. Smoke some baked potatoes at the same time (clean, oil, cover with kosher salt).     

I was thinking of pulling it for Sammies. Never did a chuck roast before. Will it be good for sandwitchs

Simple rub with some brown sugar and some other spices, getting a good bark on her

Decided to do a fattie also just went in the smoker will post finished pics later this evening

This is my first chuck and my first fattie!!!! Went with hickory and a simple rub on the chuck

I'll eat just about anything lol. My fiancé loves cooking for me because as long as it's good I'll eat it

Chuckies are great!  I use fruit wood and half way through I add a jar of hot pepper rings and a whole diced yellow onion.  It is awesome!

Sserble , use the wood you have handy ,  and go for some drive abouts and find a friendly Farmer that would let you have some Wood. ( bribes always work).

Then get busy and Post Q-view . . .

worthless.gif

have fun and . . .

Pulled it at two hours. And the fiancé had one slice. I ate the rest lol chuck roast is resting will post pics soon. And I have a lot of farms that's hunt I'll have to see what they have. I have three apple trees from my buddy who had to cut them down due to building his house. Just never took the ride over to get them yet

I am thinking of doing a hybrid smoked meat pot roast in the slow cooker. 2.5# Chuck, in the oven at 400 for 45 min to "Air Sear", then smoke for three hours at 250, cut up potatoes,carrots,onions,jalepanos tossed with olive oil in the smoke for the last hour, then throw it all in the crock pot with 2 cans for roasted tomatoes, garlic, worcheshire, and a couple of table spoons of the rub I put on the meat,and beef broth  and let it cook for another 4 hrs?? sound good? I will let you know

I am thinking of doing a hybrid smoked meat pot roast in the slow cooker. 2.5# Chuck, in the oven at 400 for 45 min to "Air Sear", then smoke for three hours at 250, cut up potatoes,carrots,onions,jalepanos tossed with olive oil in the smoke for the last hour, then throw it all in the crock pot with 2 cans for roasted tomatoes, garlic, worcheshire, and a couple of table spoons of the rub I put on the meat,and beef broth  and let it cook for another 4 hrs?? sound good? I will let you know
Sounds good from my house!!

Don't forget the QView!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky