29 Lb Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wandap11

Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
Can someone tell me the safest way to smoke a 20 pound Turkey? I had never heard that you could t smoke one that big

Can someone tell me the safest way to smoke a 20 pound Turkey? I had never heard that you could t smoke one that big

Hi there and welcome!

Like the other guys are saying have a smoker temp of 325F+ and DO NOT open the smoker until it is ready (I pull around 162F in the breast).

In my electric smoker at a constant 325F it takes less than 4 hours for a 20 pounder.

Hi there and welcome!

Like the other guys are saying have a smoker temp of 325F+ and DO NOT open the smoker until it is ready (I pull around 162F in the breast).

In my electric smoker at a constant 325F it takes less than 4 hours for a 20 pounder.
Thank you

Reactions: tallbm
I agree with everyone here. Generally, it is not safe to smoke a bird larger than 14 lbs at "low n slow" because of the 40-140 rule. You almost have to spatchcock so the heat is applied on both sides of the breast...
For a 20 pounder, 350 and spatchcocked, it should be done in about 3-3.5 hours.

Reactions: tallbm
I agree with everyone here. Generally, it is not safe to smoke a bird larger than 14 lbs at "low n slow" because of the 40-140 rule. You almost have to spatchcock so the heat is applied on both sides of the breast...
For a 20 pounder, 350 and spatchcocked, it should be done in about 3-3.5 hours.
Ended up cutting it in half. It turned out amazing! Everyone raved about it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky