• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

29 Lb Turkey

Wandap11

Joined Sep 13, 2019
Can someone tell me the safest way to smoke a 20 pound Turkey? I had never heard that you could t smoke one that big

millerbuilds

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 13, 2013
What SmokinVOLfan said!

Smoke ON and Happy Thanksgiving!

- Jason+

tallbm

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Can someone tell me the safest way to smoke a 20 pound Turkey? I had never heard that you could t smoke one that big
Hi there and welcome!

Like the other guys are saying have a smoker temp of 325F+ and DO NOT open the smoker until it is ready (I pull around 162F in the breast).

In my electric smoker at a constant 325F it takes less than 4 hours for a 20 pounder.

Wandap11

Joined Sep 13, 2019
Hi there and welcome!

Like the other guys are saying have a smoker temp of 325F+ and DO NOT open the smoker until it is ready (I pull around 162F in the breast).

In my electric smoker at a constant 325F it takes less than 4 hours for a 20 pounder.
Thank you

TuckersBarbeque

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 29, 2020
I agree with everyone here. Generally, it is not safe to smoke a bird larger than 14 lbs at "low n slow" because of the 40-140 rule. You almost have to spatchcock so the heat is applied on both sides of the breast...
For a 20 pounder, 350 and spatchcocked, it should be done in about 3-3.5 hours.

Wandap11

Joined Sep 13, 2019
I agree with everyone here. Generally, it is not safe to smoke a bird larger than 14 lbs at "low n slow" because of the 40-140 rule. You almost have to spatchcock so the heat is applied on both sides of the breast...
For a 20 pounder, 350 and spatchcocked, it should be done in about 3-3.5 hours.
Ended up cutting it in half. It turned out amazing! Everyone raved about it!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.