1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

250 Gallon Propane Tank Build

Discussion in 'Reverse Flow' started by Johndeere1, Oct 17, 2018.

1. kmmamm

kmmamm Fire Starter

I always put my cc door gap strips through a roller until they are on a slightly tighter radius than the tank. Makes them easier to weld and the slight undersize seems to help the door hold its shape better and longer. If you don’t have a roller, the Harbor freight ring roller will work almost as well, I simply use a small diameter due on the center roller and larger dies on the other two. Flanges of the large die support outside edges and the smaller die bends on the center of the strap. Also found a few blind welds on the outer edge helps stop distortion further down the road.

2. Johndeere1

Johndeere1 Fire Starter

I do have access to a slip roller. I will do that. I have 2” x 1/8” flat bar to use for strips. Should be able to roll that.

3. kmmamm

kmmamm Fire Starter

1/8” will roll like butter. Good luck

4. Johndeere1

Johndeere1 Fire Starter

Worked on getting the doors trimmed out with 1/8” metal. Made the door handles and got them welded on. Waiting on 1/2” NPT half couplings for mounting thermometers on the doors. Plan to remove all the old paint off the tank this weekend and prep for painting.

Attached Files:

fivetricks likes this.
  5. Johndeere1

Johndeere1 Fire Starter

Welded on half couplings for thermometers and half moon guards.

Attached Files:

InThePittBBQ likes this.
  6. The guards are a nice touch, those therm aren't cheap it's one of the things I like about some brand X pits that do them that way.

7. Johndeere1

Johndeere1 Fire Starter

Welded on supports for stainless shelf under CC doors. Think I’m finally ready to sand off old paint and prep metal for new paint. Supposed to get 8 to 10 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow so may not get much done this weekend.

Attached Files:

fivetricks and InThePittBBQ like this.
  8. Johndeere1

Johndeere1 Fire Starter

Finished sanding off old paint. Ready to paint.

Attached Files:

kdfiter and InThePittBBQ like this.