2 Tri-ips, 1 Fatty, and Atomic Turds Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
Well, this is my first attempt at all of the items listed, here they are on the Smoker working their way to yum-a-licious.

The fatty is stuffed with mexican blend cheese and shrooms. the turds have the same cheese plus cream cheese. I did not poke any holes in the bottom of the turds not sure if I was supposed to or not. I capped them off with bacon.

Well the smoke was short lived about an hour into it and the 3rd beer my neighbor rings the door bell and tells me I have a fire on my front porch with flames reaching the ceiling.

UNBELIEVABLE,

well guess I need a new regulator. Everything has been moved to the Oven at 275 degrees. This sucks anybody ever had their stuff catch fire like this?

A little smokle damage on the wood rails and flower pots, my deer horns did catch fire but the flower basket there were sitting in was blazing. I feel very lucky, I had just gone inside from checking on it too. I still cant beleive it.

Sorry for your BAD luck!

yikes you were lucky indeed. i looked at photo and zoomed and it appears that where hose attaches to regulator looks like a hose clamp there, also the regulator not setting right, can see metal exposed that shouldnt be. maybe tis happened while putting out fire. in any event is it poss that a small leak either from the hose or regulator area was occuring and if all conditions rite was being drawn into intake where it could have ignited and tracked back to the source??? not a expert on gas but you can see problem area and other than a leak cant explain why it wold damage there??? perhaps someone with more knowledge on gas will chime in.
glad everything turned out the way it did, could have been much worse!!!

WOW! Scarey!

Glad that you think that it was minor, and that you got to finish cooking the food.

Thanks for posting the pics of the event, I think that I will move my set-up off of the back porch and back away from the house where I used to have it.

The plastic that screws onto the propane tank melted off it is just resting in place for the picture, no threads left at all, the Hose clamp looking thing is exposed becuase the rubber hose melted and left it exposed, it is part of the original setup sent to me when I got the unit.

It was deffinately unbelievable I still cant believe it happened.

Wow glad it wasn't any worse any idea of cause

No I have no Idea what happened. I did not have any damage or fire inside the smoker itself, only damage or sign of fire was where the coupler screws onto the Propane tank and the rubber hose where it connects to the regulator, (and my porch
biggrin.gif
) the Smoker temp was holding between 260-270* for about an hour I am baffled anybody have a suggestion as to what could have happened.

I am afraid to use the thing until I figure out what the cause was.

If it was at the tank connection it would lead me to believe maybe it wasn't tight enough or if there is an o-ring fitting on the male end of the connector it may have been bad and caused a leak. That of course is only a guess

when you get your new regulator you need to enquire about a burn back valve to keep this sort of thing from happening,i don't know if they make one for this application but i would find out,you were lucky my friend.
your Q was looking great by the way.

mark

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
Friend, I used to teach Vocational Agriculture and in the shop class I taught each student how to change the Oxygen and Acetylene tanks. This included how to check for leaks easily. I had a squeeze bottle with some Ivory soap and water in it. Just squirt it on the connections, all of them and the leaks will show up if the tank valve is opened. If you have questions, stop and shut the tank off and call a propane service man. I had my hoses built at the propane dealer's store???
Many Happy Smoke Rings from Sedalia, MO. Great looking fatties and ABT's by the way.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Agmeyer,

sounds like good sound advice and since I had just hooked up the full tank, I am hoping that is what the problem was. This was only my second smoke on the Big Block since I purchased it a couple weeks back. I will deffinately be checking from now on even though the equiptment was new, I guess the hose could have been damaged in shipping.

Could be Unrelated but there was a Recall on Regulators due to something like this. I read about it when I was doing research on a BBQ that I had just purchased. Maybe check the Manufactoring website to see if anyone else had this problem.

I did have a similar problem with a Turkey Fryer that I had, I didnt move the propane hose away enough and the flame melted the hose and then almost caught fire. i caught it before and just turned everything off. I since then bought a new hose and will never forget to give enough clearance. In your incident the flame indeed started at the Regulator area. Had nothing to do with the Smoker itself. I am thankfull that the tank didnt blow up which would have been devastating for you.

Buy the replacement hose with regulator and try again. I doubt it will happen again. Most likely had to do with either not being tight enough or a leak next to the regulator. What bothers me is how it caught fire. It didnt appear to be close enough to the smoker to catch unless the leak was big and spraying near the flame of the smoker.

Another incident I had once was a grease flare up on my last bbq on my deck. I didnt noptice cause I was preparing my meat to bbq and the flare up ended up melting about 14 siding panels on my house. I have since bbq'd only on my grass or 10+ feet away from the house.

good luck, and by the way I hope your meat turned out okay. =)

-gerrit

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky