Another Pulled Pork thread...my first

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Sorry Robert ( tx smoker tx smoker ) I told you I was going to post this, first attempt ever at PP. Grabbed a 7.8lb pork shoulder to give it a shot. I was smart enough (not usually one of my traits) to listen to everyone and smoked it the the day before I needed it.
1.jpg

Scored and seasoned with Oak ridge BBQ rib rub
2.jpg

4.jpg

In the smoker, was windy, rainy crappy weekend so used the MES with a tube of Apple and Cherry Lumberjack pellets
5.jpg

Smoked at mostly 240 or so, seems my electric won't get much higher in crappy weather
6.jpg

Out of the smoker, hit the stall at 9 hours at 145....got to 165 and put in a pan with some broth. at 175 it was getting late so I tented in foil and put in the oven at 325. was getting late and wanted to go to bed.
7.jpg

Quasi black soy bean charro beans were up next. Gathered options from a bunch of posts here for the contents. Smoked a poblano pepper with the PP,
poblano.jpg

par cooked up bacon
1.jpg

chopped up some 3 color tiny tomatoes, cumin, garlic and left over bacon fat.
2.jpg

In the smoker it goes
5.jpg

Stuffed Poblano peppers up next.
Cooked up some onion, garlic and some of the pulled pork in some of the left over bacon fat....yum
4.jpg

Chive cream cheese, garlic, pepper with Mexican cheese shreds and pulled pork mixture
2.jpg

Peppers ready to get stuffed
1.jpg

Stuffed with the mixture and a pinch of the rib rub to keep the continuity going
3.jpg

Bacon wrapped and into the smoker
4.jpg

So today reheated the PP with the left over drippings, minus the huge fat layer
8.jpg

Beans out of the smoker...ohhhh boyyyy
6.jpg

Plated shot, everything was incredible....but I do have to say the shoulder skin was hard and inedible. Not sure what I can do on future cooks for that?
plate.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 7
About all I can say is...that whole meal looks fabulous. And the pics are great.
I'm not sure what to say about the tough skin. When you say skin, are you referring to the bark? The "before" pic doesn't have skin on it. By the look of the package, I'd say your rub has lots of sugar in it, but so does my go to pork rub. The only time I've experienced real hard, unpleasant bark was the one time I tried the hot and fast method on a butt. At my usual temp of 240, I always get soft bark.
Any way, I'd be happy eating that meal 7 days a week.
Gary

Looks good, I find no joy in leaving skin on a shoulder, it stops the rub and smoke from reaching the meat imo. skin and throw it on the smoker with some rub applied on a rack above it will baste the shoulder and might crisp up depending on what temp your running

Reactions: clifish
Sorry Robert ( tx smoker tx smoker ) I told you I was going to post this

Nothing at all to apologize for my friend. I've been waiting for this and you didn't disappoint!! That is an outstanding looking meal but those beans...man oh man do they look stellar. Very well done sir.

Robert

About all I can say is...that whole meal looks fabulous. And the pics are great.
I'm not sure what to say about the tough skin. When you say skin, are you referring to the bark? The "before" pic doesn't have skin on it. By the look of the package, I'd say your rub has lots of sugar in it, but so does my go to pork rub. The only time I've experienced real hard, unpleasant bark was the one time I tried the hot and fast method on a butt. At my usual temp of 240, I always get soft bark.
Any way, I'd be happy eating that meal 7 days a week.
Gary
Looks good, I find no joy in leaving skin on a shoulder, it stops the rub and smoke from reaching the meat imo. skin and throw it on the smoker with some rub applied on a rack above it will baste the shoulder and might crisp up depending on what temp your running
yes there was skin on the entire one side that I just scored, I mistakenly termed that bark. I will remove that next time. yes the rub was Dominator seat rib rub so I am pretty sure it has a fair amount of sugar.

Great job on the shoulder!
It looks incredible!
It looks like a picnic, so I would suggest the next time you smoke one, ask for a Boston butt, they have no skin on them & the meat is better tasting, IMHO!
Al

Looks like a great dinner. Those things can take a long time!
Yes it took way longer than I thought, Thx

Thanks Cliff for the process and nothing wrong with a nice meal like this other than
that plate is not enough for the two of us , I would like my own ..:emoji_laughing:

Nice work

David
Thanks David, wife and I split the pepper but we each had enough to eat. In fact it is also going to be tonight's dinner with enough PP to freeze.
Nothing at all to apologize for my friend. I've been waiting for this and you didn't disappoint!! That is an outstanding looking meal but those beans...man oh man do they look stellar. Very well done sir.

Robert
Thanks Robert, those beans are great have made them in a few ways now. As have a bunch of people here.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Great job on the shoulder!
It looks incredible!
It looks like a picnic, so I would suggest the next time you smoke one, ask for a Boston butt, they have no skin on them & the meat is better tasting, IMHO!
Al
Thanks Al, They just marked it pork shoulder. Is there a difference between Boston butt and a pork butt? I usually only see stuff marked as pork butt.

Same thing!
Al
I agree with Al. You did get a shoulder which is lower on the leg than a pork butt/Boston butt. Obviously will still work but it not what PP is usually made of. Shoulder would be a bone in ham, after cured and smoked.

yeah did not know this or have a big choice in cuts. I need to purchase one in advance next time.

Thx

Awesome! First PP looks amazing! Those beans are insane and I could eat the stuff peppers as their own meal! Great cook and beautiful plate!!!!

Great job on the shoulder and the whole meal! Nothing wrong with that
Heck yeah bud. Nice work. Peppers look amazing
Awesome! First PP looks amazing! Those beans are insane and I could eat the stuff peppers as their own meal! Great cook and beautiful plate!!!!
Thanks all, certainly learned a few things from all the comments. The beans and stuffed peppers were epic and will be done many more times in the future.

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky