1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

1st time gooda

Discussion in 'Smoked Cheese' started by Mofatguy, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Mofatguy

Mofatguy Smoke Blower

Hey all.
    Smoked some gooda tonight on the big chief with the door cracked open and with applewood pellets. Left it in for 2hrs and pulled it.
    Looks goods and smells great but came out a little soft and really oily.

Too long in the smoke? Outside temp is 44* and smoker just barely felt warm.

Thinking of putting in fridge overnigjt uncovered after setting on counter for an hour.
    Good idea or not?
    Thanks. Still learning.

2. pc farmer

pc farmer Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

What was the temp of the smoker? Dry off with paper towels and let sit uncovered overnight

3. Mofatguy

Mofatguy Smoke Blower

Don't have a temp probe on or in. Like I said the top was just barely warm. Could lay hand on it no problem.
    I'll dry it off b4 putting in fridge uncovered overnight. Then I'll vac pack and let mellow for awhile b4 eating.

Time will tell....

Thanks!

4. Mofatguy

Mofatguy Smoke Blower

What about a loose wrap in parchment paper b4 putting in fridge overnight? Would that let it breathe or would it be better to leave uncovered in fridge tonight?

5. pc farmer

pc farmer Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Barely warm on the outside might be to warm for cheese in the inside

6. pc farmer

I leave uncovered but in my meat fridge. If your using the kitchen fridge, I would wrap loose.

7. Mofatguy

Mofatguy Smoke Blower

Ok. I'll loose wrap in parchment when I put it in.
    The cheese didn't melt on the end of the wedge but the marks from the rack are deeper than I've had b4.
    Only 3rd time smoking cheese and 1st with gooda. Just making sure it's going to be ok to eat. Don't want to be fertilizing daisies any sooner than necessary! Ha!

8. pc farmer

It will be fine to eat no matter what.

9. Mofatguy

Mofatguy Smoke Blower

Cool! Thanks!

10. Mofatguy

Mofatguy Smoke Blower

Forgot a picture.

Attached Files:

11. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Looking at your pics the cheese appears med-rare. I can see the beginnings of the meltdown stage. Just pat it with a clean paper towel and let it rest in the fridge overnight on a wire rack. I loosely cover mine with plastic wrap(by loosely I mean just lay it over the cheese). Then vacuum seal in the morning.

Chris

12. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

MFG, Gouda is a soft cheese compared to a cheddar ,it doesn't take much heat to have a melt down. Your cheese will be fine after a rest.

13. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

If it was 44 degrees outside and the smoker felt warm it was getting a little too warm. As said your cheese will be fine after resting. Next time a remove smoke generator like the common mail box mod will work a treat in keeping heat out and away for the cheese so only cool clean smoke will wash up over it.

14. Mofatguy

Mofatguy Smoke Blower

Thanks guys!
    I see something amazin in my future. :emoji_wink:

I still had good smoke rolling and got greedy leaving it smoker as long I did. Live and learn! Still liking the big chief even if it ain't a real smoker.

15. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Also try curtailing rolling and /or billowing smoke. A thin blue wisp of barely visible smoke is what you want. Thick billowing smoke will make the final product taste like an ashtray.

With smoke more is not better or faster.